Mumbai: Girl dies after consuming iron-boosting pills in BMC school
A girl student of a civic body-run school in Mumbai died today while over 160 other students were hospitalized due to suspected poisoning after they took iron-boosting medicines given by the school.
The 12-year-old girl was administered iron and folic acid tablets on Monday at the Municipal Urdu School Number 2 at Bainganwadi in suburban Govandi, a statement from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation said.
Girl dies after consuming iron-boosting pills in Mumbai
Students administered pills as part of Central government scheme
The statement said the students of BMC-run schools were given iron, folic acid, and deworming tablets as part of a Central government scheme aimed at fighting anemia among children.
Officials suspect tuberculosis as the cause of death
The girl skipped school on Tuesday but attended classes on Wednesday and yesterday and died at her home last night after vomiting blood.
BMC claimed that there were no reports of any untoward incident during this national program.
Officials today said tuberculosis might be a cause behind the girl's death, though the BMC statement said the details of her previous illness are not known.
Love Mumbai news?
Stay updated with the latest happenings.
No other children hospitalized had any major issues: BMC official
A BMC official said the parents of 161 other students of the school panicked and brought them to the civic body-run Rajawadi Hospital at Ghatkopar and Shatabdi Hospital at Govandi.
"A few children complained of nausea and giddiness. However, none had major signs or symptoms," a BMC official said.
He said all the children were examined by pediatricians and advised discharge from the hospitals.
Health Officer says tablets given were tested and tried
Padmaja Keskar, Executive Health Officer of BMC, said the tablets given to the students were "tried and tested", adding that the cause of the girl's death would only be known once the post-mortem report came in.