Journalist burnt alive!
1 Jun 2015
- Shahjahanpur-based journalist, Jagendra Singh was burnt alive by some police officials for writing against UP Dairy Development minister, Ram Murti Verma on his Facebook page.
- Singh was doused in kerosene and set on fire.
- He had faced attacks from the minister's men earlier on 28 April also.
- Police officials however claimed that Singh set himself on fire when he was being chased by them.
Jagendra Singh breathes his last breath!
8 Jun 2015
- Journalist Jagendra Singh who was burnt alive for writing against UP minister Ram Murti Verma passed away battling serious burns for 7 days.
- Singh gave a statement before dying, saying, "Why did they have to burn me? If the Minister and his people had something against me, they could have hit me and beaten me, instead of pouring kerosene over me and burning me."
Amendments to section 66A of IT Act
On 24 March 2015, SC deemed section 66A of Information Technology act as unconstitutional and struck it down. The act was widely misused by political parties and the police to arrest innocents, who posted their comments on the social media.
PIL seeks CBI probe in Jagendra Singh's case
11 Jun 2015
- A PIL had been filed in Allahabad Court demanding a CBI probe to unfurl the truth behind journalist Jagendra Singh's murder.
- A FIR was also filed against Ram Murti Verma and five police officials.
- Meanwhile, Press Council of India Chairman Justice C.K. Prasad asked the UP government to form a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to investigate about UP minister, Verma's involvement in the case.
BJP says UP is witnessing "Jungle Raaj"
14 Jun 2015
- BJP spokesperson Shrikant Sharma said that Uttar Pradesh was witnessing "Jungle Raaj" under Akhilesh Yadav's government where people take law in their hands.
- BJP is demanding that those who were involved in Jagendra Nath's murder should be immediately taken into custody without any further delay.
- Meanwhile, the five accused police officials had been suspended following a FIR which was filed on 11 June.
Everyone uses Facebook: Bhukal Nawab defends murder
15 Jun 2015
- In a shocking defense statement, Samajwadi Party MLA Bhukal Nawab has said that calling Jagendra Singh a journalist who used Facebook to share his articles is not justified.
- Defending UP's Dairy minister, Ram Murti Verma, the primary accused in the brutal murder, Nawab said, "Social media is in every home. Even my son sends messages here and there...everyone does that."
Bharatiya Janata Party takes on Akhilesh Yadav govt; says Uttar Pradesh witnessing ‘jungle raaj’ | The Financial Express