Respite for Gandhis in National Herald case
Enforcement Directorate has given the verdict to close the National Herald case, bringing respite to Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
The ED declared that no case could be made under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) for lack of evidence.
BJP leader Subramanian Swamy vehemently protested against the decision by writing two letters to PM Modi saying the matter had been prematurely closed.
27 Jun 2014: Sonia, Rahul named in National Herald case
A local court summoned Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Vice President Rahul Gandhi for misappropriating funds and cheating, under their ownership of National Herald daily.
The complaint was lodged by BJP leader Subramanian Swamy.
All accused including AICC treasurer Moti Lal Vohra, general secretary Oscar Fernandes, Suman Dubey and Sam Pitroda, were to appear before the court on August 7.
Fact: The voice of freedom: National Herald
The National Herald was an Indian daily started by Jawaharlal Nehru in 1938. The National Herald had both Hindi and Urdu editions known respectively as Navjeevan and Qaumi Awaz. The paper finally closed its operations in 2008.
31 Jul 2014: Herald accused file petitions in HC
Pleas were filed before the Delhi HC by Rahul Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi, Vohra, Fernandez and the company Young India (YI) accused in National Herald case.
The petitioners alleged that the complaint of cheating and embezzlement were "false and politically motivated", which had been filed to "settle a political score".
The petition also said Swamy had no right to question valid financial transactions.
24 Jun 2015: Sonia, Rahul to pay income tax
The Income Tax department was likely to issue notices to Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
The notice would pertain about the tax payment and penalty on "income" of Rs.1,300 crore.
The investigators alleged that the Rs.1,300 crore was earned from the "transfer of shares of Associated Journal Ltd (AJL)."
The accused had called this a case of political vendetta.
18 Aug 2015: Respite for Gandhis in National Herald case
19 Aug 2015: ED Director sacked over National Herald case
Enforcement Directorate Director Rajan S Katoch was removed from service on Aug 18 after he chose to close the National Herald case.
BJP leader Subramanian Swamy had written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking appointment of a full-time Director for the central probe agency. Katoch was also the Secretary of Heavy Industries.
The charge had then been given to Senior IPS officer Karnal Singh.
7 Dec 2015: National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul to appear in court
The Delhi HC dismissed Sonia and Rahul Gandhi's pleas against the summons issued to them in the National Herald misappropriation case filed against them by Subramaniam Swamy.
The court also declined to grant them exemption from personal appearance in the trial court for the hearings on the case.
The Gandhis will now have to approach the SC seeking a stay on the order.
11 Jan 2016: Swamy given green light to summon National-Herald documents
A Delhi court gave permission to BJP leader Subramanian Swamy's plea that sought the summoning of certain documents from the "Ministries of Finance, Urban Development and Corporate Affairs, Income Tax Department and other agencies in the National Herald case."
Mr. Swamy was asked to file the processing fee for sending summons to these departments to get documents which he said would prove his arguments.
4 Feb 2016: Gandhis move SC, demand charges be quashed
Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi moved the Supreme Court to nullify the National Herald case charges against them.
The Gandhis have disputed the earlier judgment of the Delhi high court and commanded dismissal of BJP leader Subramanian Swamy's accusation and the summons.
The Gandhis have also claimed that the assertions in the charges (of Swami) did not justify a cheating case.
12 Feb 2016: SC rejects quashing case, exempts Gandhis from personal appearance
The SC rejected the Gandhi's plea to quash trial court proceedings but it exempted them from personal appearances in the National Herald case hearing.
SC expressed unhappiness with Delhi HC's judgement that had said that the "probity of the legendary national political party" was at stake in the case".
SC expunged these remarks to ensure a free trial sans any influence.
28 Aug 2016: Court orders Gandhis to present documents in Herald case
A Delhi court distributed notices to Congress head Sonia Gandhi, Vice President Rahul Gandhi and others involved in the National Herald case.
The bench directed the Congress and Associated Journals Limited (AJL) to present documents such as balance sheets before the court.
The direction came after a plea was registered by BJP's Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy demanding the presentation of the documents.
26 Dec 2016: Court dismisses Swamy's plea in National Herald Case
The Patiala House Court has dismissed a plea filed by Subramanian Swamy seeking documents related to the National Herald case; the announcement comes as a relief to Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
The next hearing is on 10 February when Swamy will submit a list of witnesses to the court.
Swamy had sought records of ledger books maintained by Associate Journals Limited.