Going the union way
- Delhi University holds its own student elections; these elections happen on two levels.
- Elections take place at the university level, for the Delhi University Student Union( DUSU) and at the individual college level.
- The contending student groups are the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and National Students' Union of India (NSUI)
- The third party involved is the newly formed Chhatra Yuva Sangharsh Samiti CYSS).
Political parties in DU too
The ABVP is the student wing of the Bharatiya Janata Party, the NSUI is the student wing of the Congress and CYSS is that of Aam Admi Party.
ABVP takes serious steps
9 May 2015
- ABVP sent a delegation to meet Arvind Kejriwal to make him aware of the problems of Delhi University.
- One of the demands they made was the building of new colleges under the university, especially in the far flung areas of Delhi.
- They also raised the issue of high rent in the student areas and suggested the implementation of the Room Rent Control Act.
And the candidates are...
5 Sep 2015
- The student groups announced its candidates for the DUSU positions on 5th.
- ABVP announced that Satinder Awana, Sunny Dedha, Anjali Rana and Chattar Pal Yadav would be contesting for the positions of president, vice-president, secretary and joint secretary respectively.
- NSUI announced Pradeep Vijayaryan,Prerna Singh, Amit Sehrawat and Deepak Chaudhary for the same.
- CYSS fielded Kuldeep Bidhuri, Garima Rana, Rahul Raj Aryan and Hitanshi Chauhan.
CYSS runs into trouble
9 Sep 2015
- CYSS which is making its debut in the DUSU elections, ran into trouble after it ignored the Lyngdoh committee recommendations for the campaigns.
- The committee said that the student wings were supposed to not involve leaders from national parties.
- However, CYSS held a music concert which was attended by Kejriwal.
- Delhi University administration sent a notice to CYSS after this event.
And ABVP wins the DUSU elections, again!
12 Sep 2015
- ABVP, the BJP student wing, yesterday won the DUSU elections in a clean sweep, with all the 4 posts going to ABVP candidates.
- NSUI came in second in the polls for 3 of the 4 positions, and AAP came second for the post of vice president.
- Satender Awana, the President, won by a margin of almost 6000 votes.
- This is their second consecutive win.
The road ahead for Satender
12 Sep 2015
- Satender Awana thanked DU for having made him President and helping ABVP make a clean sweep.
- He said that his main focus will be on reducing rent for student accommodation, which has been causing students of DU much trouble.
- The new union now comprises of Satender as President, Sunny Dedha as Vice President, Anjali Rana as Secretary and Chhatr Pal Yadav as Joint Secretary.
DUSU polls: Newly elected president speaks about road ahead | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis