Merkel to visit technology hub Bangalore
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel's upcoming visit to India will see her participating in two programs in Bangalore on October 6 with Modi.
- The two leaders will also speak at the NASSCOM event.
- Karnataka government said that the two leaders would be paying a visit to the German Bosch Factory at Adugodi.
- Merkel will spend time at the factory familiarize herself with innovations in India.
Merkel to get India on FTA board again
- Angela Merkel said that she would be taking up the issue of India getting back to negotiating on Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with the European Union.
- The FTA issue is close to Merkel's heart and also a way of bringing more investments into the country.
- There has been a gap of 2 years in FTA negotiations which Merkel wants to end.
German Chancellor lands in India
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel arrived in India on 4 October 2015 on a three-day visit and was welcomed by a tweet from PM Modi with a 'Namaste'.
- Merkel is accompanied by six cabinet ministers, and businesspersons on this bilateral visit.
- This visit is of extreme significance as Germany is India's 'largest' trade partner in EU and its cooperation is a necessity for India.
500 years of business relations
India and Germany have a long trade history of over 500 years. The first German trading ships arrived in India (Goa) in the 16th century.
India and Germany to hold 3rd IGC talks
- Merkel who met Modi last at Hannover Messe in April 2015, is in India for the 3rd inter-governmental consultations (IGC) between Germany and India to be held at the Hyderabad House.
- The agenda will incorporate concerns such as security, development, economy, cooperation, climate change, clean energy, infrastructure, innovation, urban mobility, higher education, culture, skills development and food security.
What is IGC?
The Inter-Governmental consultations is a novel summit-level discussion with cabinet cooperation of both governments from India and Germany to help promote the bilateral alliance "across priority areas of mutual interest."
18 MoUs signed; $2.25 billion solar boost by Germany
- 18 MoUs were signed by PM Modi and Chancellor Merkel and an agreement to enhance ties in fields of "defence manufacturing, trade, intelligence and clean energy".
- India's solar dream got a $2.25 billion boost for working to provide clean solar energy.
- Germany promised its cooperation for the upcoming Conference of Parties (COP21) in Paris.
- India agreed to setup fast-track investment system for German companies.