Sibling rivalry at its height
28 May 2003
- The murder of Pasumpon T.Kiruttinan - a Stalin loyalist, brought to fore the heightened tensions between Karunanidhi's children - Alagiri and Stalin.
- Alagiri and his men were arrested for the murder. He was accused of conspiring to 'eliminate' Kiruttinan as 'his political future was at stake'.
- The police statement elaborated some incidents which lead to widening of differences between the Stalin and Alagiri factions.
From his three marriages, Karunanidhi had 6 children. Four sons - Muthu, Alagiri, Stalin and Tamilarasu and two daughters - Selvi and Kanimozhi.
Alagiri expresses his wish to lead the party
16 Feb 2012
- The eldest of the living sons of Karunanidhi, M.K. Alagiri reiterated his wish to succeed his father as the head of the party.
- Stalin on his part, had been steadily gaining his grip over the party apparatus.
- With Stalin's supporters' demand that he be made party chief, the rivalry between the brothers came out in the open.
Stalin after Karunanidhi?
3 Jan 2013
Alagiri suspended from DMK
25 Jan 2014
- Alagiri was suspended from the party by his father Karunanidhi. This was for going against the party and expressing views different from that of the party's .
- Alagiri was said to have disregarded party leadership. He was temporarily removed from all the posts and his party membership was also suspended.
- The removal became significant in the long-standing struggle for power between Stalin and Alagiri.
Kanimozhi endorses Stalin for succession
8 Apr 2015
- Kanimozhi, sister of Stalin said that there was no resistance in the party to his elevation as head of the party.
- She said Stalin was efficient and capable of taking the party forward.
- When quizzed about Alagiri's opposition to Stalin, she answered, "within the framework of the party structure, everyone has accepted Stalin."
Stalin hinted to be the heir of DMK
4 Jun 2015
- The Chief of DMK - M. Karunanidhi almost gave it away that his son Stalin would succeed him.
- About Stalin he said, "He is the treasurer of the party until now and hereafter …," without completing the sentence.
- He was speaking on the occasion of his 91st birthday and Stalin's supporters expected the announcement of succession.
- Karunanidhi described Stalin as the "personification of hard work."