Modi to visit J&K on November 7
- PM Modi would visit Srinagar and Ramban district on November 7.
- He would lay the foundation stone of four laning of Udhampur-Banihal National Highway. He would also commission and dedicate 450 MW Baglihar Power Project to the nation.
- A financial package to boost growth in the state was expected to be announced.
- CM Mufti had hoped that Modi's visit would boost the development agenda.
Geelani under house arrest ahead of Modi's rally
- Hurriyat leader Syed Geelani was put under house arrest ahead of PM's rally in J&K.
- He had announced plans of organising the "Million-March" on the same day as Modi's rally.
- The police was searching for his deputy Mohammad Abdullah Tari to detain him.
- Geelani had said that the issue of Kashmir should be resolved in context with its history and not petty economic packages.
Security increased for Modi's visit
- Large number of police and army personnel were deployed in and around Sher-e-Kashmir Cricket Stadium, the venue of PM Modi's rally.
- Security forces were carrying out checking of the vehicles that were entering Srinagar.
- To keep an eye on movement of people, many CCTV cameras had been installed.
- An official said that sharpshooters would be deployed on high buildings during Modi's rally.
237 political activists and ex-militants arrested in J&K
- Launching a crackdown on separatist leaders, J&K police arrested 237 people.
- Out of the arrested people, 141 were activists of separatist outfits and 96 were former militants.
- The decision was taken after MHA's direction to state government to keep surveillance on top separatist leaders
- The police was also keeping a watch on Facebook pages that were propagating about Geelani's Million March.
Who all were arrested?
Hurriyat Conference leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Abdul Manan Bukhari, Noor Mohammad Kalwal of JKLF, J&K Liberation chairman Yasin Malik, Democratic Freedom Party chairman Shabir Shah and Hurriyat spokesperson Ayaz Akbar were among the others arrested.
Engineer Rashid arrested ahead of Modi's J&K visit
- Ahead of PM Modi's J&K visit, the police arrested independent MLA Engineer Rashid.
- He was arrested at Dangiwacha in North Kashmir and taken to an undisclosed location.
- The opposition blamed the J&K Chief Minister Mufti Sayeed of pursuing the agenda of RSS in the state.
- Rashid had created controversy in October when he had hosted a beef party in Srinagar.
Tarigami terms arrests of leaders unjustified
- CPI(M) leader Mohammad Yousuf Tarigami accused the J&K government of misusing the official machinery.
- He said that arrests of several leaders and activists ahead of PM Modi's visit to the state was unjustified.
- He added that a sense of fear had overtaken the people of the state.
- He also criticized CM Mufti for praising PM Modi and calling RSS tolerant and inclusive.
Modi woos J&K with ₹80,000 crore package
- Announcing a ₹80,000 crore economic package for the advancement of Jammu and Kashmir, PM Modi said that Delhi's treasures and his 'dil' was for the people of Kashmir.
- The whopping economic package will cover "relief for 2014 flood victims, farmers, businessmen, tourism, youth employment and infrastructure in the state".
- He further said that he wanted to make the state an international destination for tourists.