Who is Bal Thackeray?
- Born on 23 January 1926, Bal Thackeray was the founder of right wing marathi party Shiv Sena.
- He was also the founder of Marathi language newspaper Saamna which Shiv Sena uses for its propoganda.
- His political philosophy was shaped by his father Keshav Thackeray who was a leading figure in the United Maharashtra movement.
- He was often criticized for his antagonism against non-Marathis.
Thackeray memorial to be built at Mayor bungalow
17 Nov 2015
- Maharashtra CM Fadnavis announced that a grand memorial would be built for Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray at the Mayor's bungalow in Shivaji Park area.
- He also said that the entire cost for making the memorial would be borne by the government.
- Thackeray's son Uddhav Thackeray said that the memorial would contain every detail of Balasaheb Thackeray, so that everyone can know about him.
SC trouble for Thackeray memorial
The Maharashtra government may violate a 2013 Supreme Court order over the Thackeray memorial which prohibited government houses from being turned into memorials or monuments.
Oppostion challenges Thackeray memorial
18 Nov 2015
- BMC opposition-parties led by Congress said that taking over mayor's bungalow for Thackeray's memorial was unfair.
- They said that Matoshree, the Thackeray residence should rather be the venue for the memorial.
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray also opposed the move saying it was a bid to capture prime propoerty.
- MNS's Sandeep Deshpande questioned whether the CM would give away his bungalow for such a memorial.
We will approach court against Thackeray memorial: Nirupam
18 Nov 2015
- Senior Congress leader Sanjay Nirupam said that they would approach the court to protest against government's decision to build the Thackeray memorial.
- Threatening an agitation, Nirupam said that the Maharashtra government should not fund the memorial.
- He alleged the BJP government had done this so that the Shiv Sena does not blackmail them over overthrowing the government in the future.
Mumbai mayor faces eviction due to Thackeray memorial
19 Nov 2015
- Mumbai's mayor Snehal Ambekar faces eviction from her mayoral residence to make room for Bal Thackeray's memorial.
- She is likely to ask the Municipal Commissioner to shift from his Tony Carmichael Road, so that she can shift there.
- This would force Additional Municipal Commissioner to change his bungalow.
- The memorial would be managed by Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray through an independent public trust.
BMC opposition wants Matoshree to be Bal Thackeray memorial | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
In Mumbai, first citizen faces eviction as Shiv Sena refuses to compromise on Thackeray memorial - Firstpost
PC: 'Bal Thackeray and Madhuri Dixit at 70th Master Dinanath Mangeshkar Awards (4)' by BollywoodHungama. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Commons
PC: 'Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Devendra Fadnavis' by Official Photographer of Chief Minister of Maharashtra. Licensed under CC0 via Wikimedia Commons