Bangladesh cricketers escape mosque shooting in Christchurch


15 Mar 2019

Christchurch mass shooting: Third Test between NZ and Bangladesh cancelled

The third Test between New Zealand and Bangladesh has been cancelled after more than 40 people were killed when gunmen opened fire on two mosques in Christchurch on Friday.

The third Test was scheduled for a start on Saturday.

The shooting incident took place at the Al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue and Linwood Masjid.

Here is more.


Bangladesh team narrowly avoid shooting at a mosque

Bangladesh team narrowly avoid shooting at a mosque

The Bangladesh cricket team narrowly avoided a shooting at a mosque in Christchurch.

Spokesperson for the Bangladesh Cricket Board, Jalal Yunus, said to the AFP, "They are safe, but they are mentally shocked. We have asked the team to stay confined in the hotel."

Many players had gone to the mosque by bus and were about to go inside when the incident happened.


Both groups of players and staff are safe: NZC

The Black Caps confirmed that both groups of players and support staff are all safe and secure.

NZC extended its condolences to the families and friends of those affected by the shocking incident that occurred today.

Meanwhile, arrangements are being made for the Bangladeshi team to return home as quickly as possible.

Earlier, New Zealand sealed the Test series 2-0.

Love Sports news?

Stay updated with the latest happenings.

Yes, notify me

'We are shocked and appalled'

"We are shocked and appalled as I am sure all New Zealanders are. We are offering support to all those within the teams affected by the situation and are continuing to take advice from authorities on the ground," said NZC CEO David White.

A frightening experience!


The latest regarding the mass shooting

The latest regarding the mass shooting

New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush has said that four people have been taken into custody (three men and one woman).

Police cannot assume that there are no other suspects at large.

Meanwhile, multiple explosive devices were attached to vehicles as part of the attack.

"We are unsure if there are any other locations outside of that area that are under threat," said Bush.

Past incident

In 2009, gunmen had attacked Sri Lankan cricket team bus

On March 3, 2009, there was a ghastly attack when a bus carrying Sri Lankan cricketers, was fired upon by 12 gunmen near the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, Pakistan.

The Lankan players were on their way to play the third day of the second Test.

Six members of the Lankan cricket team were wounded.

The Test match was quickly called off.

Share this timeline

Bangladesh Cricket Team

Christchurch Mosque Shooting

Christchurch Shooting


New Zealand Cricket Team

Tamim Iqbal

Test Cricket


Al Noor


Bangladesh Cricket Board

Black Caps

David White

Deans Avenue

Gaddafi Stadium

Jalal Yunus


Linwood Masjid

Mike Bush

New Zealand

New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush

New Zealanders

NZC CEO David White

Sri Lankan

Third Test

Share this timeline

Ask NewsBytes
User Image

Next Timeline