The roots of the tennis-star
Maria Sharapova was born on April 19, 1987 at Nyagan, Russia SFSR. Shortly after her birth, her family moved to Sochi, Krasnodar Krai, Russia.
Sharapova in a nutshell
- Maria Yuryevna Sharapova is a Russian tennis player who is currently ranked No.2 by the Women's Tennis Association (WTA).
- Sharapova has competed on WTA tours since 2001.
- She has been ranked No.1 in singles by WTA on five separate occasions- for a cumulative period of 21 weeks.
- Apart from 35 singles titles and 5 Grand Slam titles, she has also won three doubles titles.
Sharapova's rise to fame!
- Then, 17-year-old Maria Sharapova was crowned with the Wimbledon title, beating Serena Williams as she overpowered her 6-1 6-4.
- With her first Grand Slam title, she became the first Russian woman to win the Wimbledon title.
- Post the glorious win, the media gave her immense attention and her popularity was escalating.
- After collecting the trophy, she had exclaimed, "It's unreal!"
Sharapova's second Gland Slam victory
- 19-year-old Sharapova won the US Open final against Henin-Hardene to gain her second Grand Slam title.
- She had a clear 6-4 6-4 win against Hardene at New York.
- She had lost her opening service game but hit back with two breaks on her way to winning the first set.
- Sharapova again, affirmed her position at the Grand Slam after two years.
Third Gland Slam feather added to her cap!
- Sharapova won her first Australian open against Ana Ivanovic, adding the third Grand Slam accolade to her kitty.
- In the unexpected victory, Sharapova defeated Ivanovic 7-5 6-3.
- The then No.5 seeded Sharapova had lost to Serena Williams in the previous Australian Open in 2007.
- She suffered a major shoulder injury in the latter part of 2008, which was a major setback for her career.
Sharapova completes career Grand Slam!
- 25-year-old, Sharapova gloated as she emerged victorious against Sara Errani in The French-Open finals to complete the full set of Glam Slam titles.
- Sharapova claimed a convincing victory by 6-3 6-2.
- She became the 10th woman to win all the four Gland Slam titles.
- This was her much awaited victory after she recovered from a career-threatening shoulder-injury and regained her No.1 ranking.
Sharapova wins silver medal at her first Olympics!
On 4 August 2012, Sharapova lost 6-0 6-1 to Serena Williams in the final match of tennis women's singles at the Summer Olympics 2012 held at London to settle for a silver medal.
Another grand victory at French Open
- Sharapova won her second French Open title against Simona Halep in one of the most dramatic matches at Roland Garros, Paris.
- She beat Halep in just over three hours and came through as 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 6-4 .
- It was the fourth match in a row that saw Sharapova taste victory in the final set.
- She collected $6.7 million as prize money.
Sharapova's glamorous kitty of endorsements!
- Sharapova's tennis success and appearance have facilitated major endorsements which exceed the value of her tournament-winnings.
- Apart from endorsing major brands like Motorola, Land-Rover, Canon, Porsche, Nike, Tropicana etc, she has also modeled for various international magazines and featured in tennis-related videogames.
- Sharapova had launched her own tennis apparel line in collaboration with Nike in 2010.
- She also designs shoes and handbags for Cole-Haan.
Sharapova top-earner in female athletes list, again!
- According to Forbes, Maria Sharapova topped the list for highest paid female athletes for the 11th year consecutively.
- Her total estimated earnings were $29.7 million as calculated by Forbes.
- The earnings were calculated from 1 June 2014 to 1 June 2015.
- Tennis players dominate the list by acquiring the top seven positions with Serena Williams featuring at the second position in the list.