Written byRajdeep Saha ·
This comes to light after he accepted three charges of breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code.
Shakib failed to report approaches from bookies on numerous occasions.
Here is more on the same.
According to the ICC, under the provisions of the Code, Shakib chose to admit the charges and agreed the sanction with the ICC in lieu of an Anti-Corruption Tribunal hearing.
Subject to him satisfying the conditions in respect of the suspended part of the sanction, the Bangladeshi all-rounder will be free to resume international cricket on October 29, 2020.
Shakib accepted his sanction for not reporting the approaches.
"I am obviously extremely sad to have been banned from the game I love, but I completely accept my sanction for not reporting the approaches. The ICC ACU is reliant on players to play a central part in the fight against corruption and I didn't do my duty in this instance," he said to ICC.
Article 2.4.4 - Failure to disclose to the ACU full details of any approaches or invitations he received to engage in Corrupt Conduct - in relation to the Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe Tri-Series in January 2018 and / or the 2018 IPL.
Article 2.4.4 - Failure to disclose to the ACU full details of any approaches or invitations he received to engage in Corrupt Conduct - in relation to a second approach in respect of the Tri-Series in January 2018.
ICC General Manager - Integrity Alex Marshall said Shakib should have reported these approaches.
"Shakib s a highly experienced international cricketer. He has attended many education sessions and knows his obligations under the Code. He should have reported each of these approaches."
He added that the all-rounder cooperated with the investigation.
"Shakib has accepted his errors and cooperated fully with the investigation."
Article 2.4.4 - Failure to disclose to the ACU full details of any approaches or invitations he received to engage in Corrupt Conduct - in relation to an IPL 2018 match between Sunrisers Hyderabad v Kings XI Punjab on 26 April 2018.
Shakib has been under the scanner of late.
It was just last week when Shakib led most of the Bangladesh players, including some top First-Class cricketers, to a strike, as he presented a list of 11 demands to the BCB.
Consequently, the tour of India was in jeopardy, as BCB called an emergency meeting on October 23 to resolve most of the issues, following which the strike was called off by Shakib.
After a terrific 2019 World Cup show, Shakib lost the plot completely.
Things have been difficult for him for a while now.
The BCB is miffed at him and now the ban comes at a crucial time.
Shakib will miss IPL 2020, besides the build-up to the ICC World T20.
With the tourney starting from October 18, Shakib's dream of representing Bangladesh is over.
Love Sports news?
Subscribe to stay updated.