Written byRajdeep Saha
The tournament is a combined ATP and WTA event.
Notably, it is one of the biggest and prestigious tournament outside of the Grand Slams and was due to start this week.
Here are further details on the same.
"There is too great a risk, at this time, to the public health of the Riverside County area in holding a large gathering of this size," said a health official David Agus.
Meanwhile, tournament director Tommy Haas said they will explore other options.
"We are prepared to hold it on another date and will explore options."
Many of the world's leading players, including Rafael Nadal, had already arrived in California for the event.
The qualifying round was set to start on Monday with the main draw matches beginning on Wednesday.
The tournament draws more than 400,000 fans each year to Indian Wells.
The men's and women's sides drew a record 475,000 fans over its two-week run last year.
"We are very disappointed that the tournament will not take place, but the health and safety of the local community, fans, players, volunteers, sponsors, employees, vendors, and everyone involved with the event is of paramount importance," Haas said.
WTA chief executive Steve Simon told New York Times, there had been discussions to hold the tournament behind closed doors but the idea was rejected.
The decision to call off the tournament came after one case of coronavirus was confirmed in the local Coachella Valley area. Meanwhile, the cancellation of music and entertainment festival South by Southwest in Austin, Texas, is also believed to have played a role.
British doubles player Jamie Murray questioned whether the decision would force several other major tournaments to be postponed. Spaniard Nadal shared his sadness for those affected by the virus around the world.
You probably all heard the news. Indian Wells cancelled. We are here and still deciding what’s next. So sad for all that is happening around the world with this situation. Hopefully soon solutions from the authorities. Stay all well and safe.— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) March 9, 2020
Doesn’t bode well for the tour if IW cancelled for 1 confirmed case in Coachella Valley. Broward county (Miami Open home) has more confirmed cases. Monte Carlo borders northern Italy currently in lockdown. Rome Masters? French Open? Wimbledon?!!!— Jamie Murray (@jamie_murray) March 9, 2020
Love Sports news?
Subscribe to stay updated.