Initially, it was announced that overseas players will only be available after April 15 as the Indian government had cancelled all visas, except for a few official categories.
The Sports Ministry asserted that any sporting event with huge gatherings should be abandoned, owing to coronavirus scare.
It was then proposed that the IPL could be played behind closed doors.
The safety of citizens is of utmost importance, says Rijiju
"After April 15, the government will come up with new advisory. BCCI is a body that looks after cricket. It is not the question of the sporting event alone, but a question of the safety of citizens. Such events include thousands of spectators," Rijiju said.
IPL 2020 was deferred from March 29 to April 15
The coronavirus pandemic led to the postponement of IPL till April 15.
According to BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, there is a possibility of having the tournament truncated.
There were also speculations doing rounds that the upcoming edition could follow the model of IPL 2009, which was wrapped up inside 37 days.
Also, the tournament could be hosted at limited venues.
Delhi government banned large-scale sporting events
Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia had earlier announced that no sporting event will be held in the national capital in the wake of coronavirus outbreak.
"If BCCI comes up with some new format, then it's up to them. But we are banning every sports activity where there is a possibility of thousands of people gathering. Our intent is to avoid gathering," clarified Sisodia.