CarDekho skids into existence
- CarDekho was started by brothers Amit and Anurag Jain (both IIT-Delhi alumni) after a visit to the Delhi Auto Expo in 2008.
- It is an online marketplace for people to purchase and sell "used as well as new cars."
- The site also provided data on car insurance and finance.
- CarDekho also partnered with car manufacturers following a multiple-revenue model.
From a garage and 2 laptops to CarDekho
CarDekho was started by Amit Jain with his brother in a garage in Bengaluru with two laptops in 2007.
Gaadi.com to ride with CarDekho now
30 Sep 2014
- CarDekho acquired another automobile site, Naspers Group-owned Gaadi.com for an undisclosed sum.
- After the acquisition, both the firms which focus on used (gaadi.com) and new (CarDekho) cars will continue to run as separate entities.
- The company CarDekho that also runs BikeDekho.com and PriceDekho.com said that the present acquisition was an integral part to its expansion strategy.
CarDekho raises $50 million investment
28 Jan 2015
- CarDekho.com owned by Jaipur-based Girnar Software Pvt Ltd accumulated $50 million (around ₹307 crore) in the Series B round funding.
- The funds came from Hillhouse Capital, Chinese investment management firm and Hong Kong-based Tybourne Capital.
- The existing investor Sequoia Capital also participated in the round.
- The company said the funds would be used for brand building and marketing and innovating the mobile app.
CarDekho reaches valuation of $300 million
After the Hillhouse investment, CarDekho was valued at $300 million.
Tata honcho hitches a ride with CarDekho
9 Feb 2015
- Mr. Ratan Tata, revered ex-Chairman of the Tata Sons conglomerate announced his plans to invest in the Indian Auto space CarDekho.com
- The company's founders said that Mr. Ratan Tata's involvement was a boost considering his contribution to the automobile industry.
- CarDekho.com's revenue saw a three-fold jump since 2013 after the company got series A funding of $15 million from Sequoia Capital.
CarDekho acquires Zigwheels, competition heats up
12 Sep 2015
- CarDekho, the online auto classifieds space is all set to acquire Zigwheels, the Times Internet owned auto portal.
- The exact financial details of the transaction were not disclosed.
- The united entity of CarDekho, Gaadi.com, and Zigwheels were pegged against bigger players Cartrade.com and Carwale.com.
- Players like Quikr and Olx could also prove tough competition in coming years.