According to reports, four heavily armed gunmen stormed the Indian Consulate in Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan on the intervening night of 3-4 January 2016. Afghanistan's Special Forces are engaged in a gun battle with the terrorists, two of whom are believed to have been killed in the encounter. The other two have taken refuge in an adjacent building and continue to engage security forces. This is not the first time such an attack has taken place. Since 2008, at least five major attacks have taken place against Indian diplomatic missions in Kabul, Jalalbad, Herat and Mazar-e-Sharif. A suicide car bombing on the Indian embassy in Kabul took the lives of 58 people, including several senior Indian army officials and injured over 141 others. Afghan authorities said the attack was coordinated with foreign agents in the region - a likely reference to Pakistan. Pakistan denied the allegations and said none of their people were involved in the attack. Terrorists targeted India's embassy in Afghanistan with a car bomb that killed at least 17 people and wounding 76 others on a heavily guarded street in downtown Kabul. Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack on the group's Web site. Afghan President Hamid Karzai, the U.S. and United Nations also condemned the attack. Three Indian security personnel were injured in the attack. Militants set off an explosives-laden car near Indian consulate in Jalalabad when they were asked to stop by security forces at a checkpoint en-route to the consulate. The blast killed nine bystanders and wounded 24, including a policeman. Children who were attending prayers at a nearby mosque were also killed in the attack. No organization came forward to claim responsibility for the attack. Indian Consulate in Afghanistan's Herat province was attacked by four gunmen armed with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades. A squad of 23 ITBP personnel was guarding the consulate. One terrorist was killed by ITBP personnel while three were killed by Afghan Special Forces. No group came forward to claim responsibility for the attack, however, officials suspected Taliban insurgents to be behind the attack. Four gunmen attempted to storm the Indian Consulate in Mazar-e-Sharif late on Sunday night. The commandos of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police who guard the consulate were the first to engage the attackers until the Afghan Special Forces arrived. No group has come forward to claim responsibility for the attack so far. Indian ambassador Amar Sinha stated that all consular staff were safe. According to reports, four heavily armed gunmen stormed the Indian Consulate in Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan on the intervening night of 3-4 January 2016. Afghanistan's Special Forces are engaged in a gun battle with the terrorists, two of whom are believed to have been killed in the encounter. The other two have taken refuge in an adjacent building and continue to engage security forces. India's Consulate in Afghanistan's Jalalabad city was attacked, with a suicide bomber blowing himself up outside the entrance to the highly secured complex. Afghan forces killed four militants involved in the attack; however, the exact number of attackers is yet to be ascertained. In a statement made after the attack, the Indian foreign office in Afghanistan said all Indians in the complex were safe. A policeman and two civilians were killed when militants targeted the Indian consulate in Afghanistan's Jalalabad city. All five attackers were also killed in the gun battle that ensued. Nineteen other civilians were injured in the mayhem and admitted to a hospital according to Afghan news reports. No organization has claimed responsibility for the attack yet; however, officials said they suspected the Taliban.