25 Nov 2017
Egypt's Sisi vows forceful response after attack kills 235
Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi said his country would respond with "the utmost force" after an attack on a mosque in North Sinai killed 235 people.
Terrorists bombed the al-Rawda mosque in Bir al-Abed and gunned down fleeing worshippers during Friday prayers.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, the deadliest in recent times.
The Egyptian military has launched airstrikes against "terrorist" targets.
Gunmen targeted worshippers, ambulances
On Friday, bombs were set off targeting the mosque.
The mosque was surrounded by dozens of gunmen who opened fire on worshippers who tried to escape.
The gunmen reportedly burnt vehicles parked in the area to block access to the mosque.
They also targeted ambulances which were attempting to save victims with gunfire. Hospitals were overwhelmed as at least 100 people were wounded.
Sisi vows to "avenge" victims, military targets terrorists' ammunition depots
"What is happening is an attempt to stop us from our efforts in the fight against terrorism," Sisi said.
"The armed forces and the police will avenge our martyrs and restore security and stability with the utmost force," he added.
The Egyptian army said fighter jets have bombed "terrorist spots" storing weapons and ammunition.
Three days of mourning have also been declared in Egypt.
Unprecedented attack may have targeted Sufi worshippers
Locals claim followers of Sufism regularly gathered and prayed at the mosque.
While the moderate Sufis have gained widespread acceptance across the world, some extremist groups such as ISIS consider them as heretics.
Last year, a local ISIS outfit threatened to kill Sufis who didn't "repent."
Meanwhile, the BBC has reported that militants have never before targeted worshippers inside a mosque in North Sinai.