4 killed in school shooting in Canada
23 Jan 2016
- 4 people were killed in a school shooting in La Loche, a small community of about 3,000 people in the western Canadian province of Saskatchewan.
- At around 1 pm CST, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police received a call about an "active shooter".
- The suspect was detained within 45 minutes, and Saskatchewan's air ambulance was dispatched to the site of the violence.
The details of the case
- The identities of the victims and the shooter are yet to be released as the investigation is still on going.
- However, Kevin Janvier, the acting mayor of La Loche, confirmed that his 23-year old daughter, Marie, was one of the victims.
- Janvier also said that the shooter had first shot two of his own siblings at his residence before moving on to the school.
Eyewitness accounts of what transpired
- Noel Desjarlais, a Grade 10 student at the school in La Loche, told CBC news, "There was lots of screaming. There was about six, seven shots before I got outside."
- School coordinator Norma Janvier, who was in her office when shots were fired, expressed her disbelief to a local newspaper, saying, "I didn't know what was going on...all I heard was cops running around."
Justin Trudeau and other leaders' reactions
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who was in Switzerland, expressed his grief, saying, "The country's heart is breaking for the people of La Loche, Saskatchewan today."
- "Words cannot express my shock and sorrow at the horrific events today in La Loche," said Brad Wall, the premier of Saskatchewan.
- US Ambassador Bruce A. Heyman extended his "deepest condolences" for the victims' families and loved ones.
First school shooting in Canada in years
The school shooting at La Loche came almost a decade after the last school shooting in Canada. The last school shooting to take place in Canada was in 2007, when a 15 year old boy was killed in Toronto.
Canada shooting: 17 year old charged with murder
24 Jan 2016
- Canadian authorities have charged a 17 year old boy with four counts of murder and seven counts of attempted murder over the shooting spree in a home and nearby school in La Loche, Canada.
- The youth was also charged with one count of unauthorized possession of a firearm.
- The youth's identity has been withheld based on Canada's Youth Criminal Justice Act.
Canada school shooting: Mayor's daughter among four killed | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis