Who is Donald Trump?
Donald John Trump, Sr. is an infamous American business magnate, television personality, author, investor and 2016 presidential candidate known for his extravagent lifestyle. His net worth is $4 billion.
Donald Trump announces candidacy; targets Mexicans
- Donald Trump took the world by surprise by announcing himself as the 2016 presidential candidate on 16 June.
- But what came as a bigger shock were his accusations against Mexico for sending rapists and other criminals to the US.
- Trump further blamed the Mexicans for getting drugs and crime across the border and he said that he was only one who could counter this.
Celebrities express anger at Trump
Shakira tweeted her angst saying "This is a hateful and racist speech that attempts to divide a country that for years has promoted diversity and democracy!". America Ferrera wrote an essay criticising Trump.
Donald Trump sues Univision for curtailing his freedom
- US presidential candidate Donald Trump slapped a $500m lawsuit on Univision after the Spanish TV network's decided to end its contract to telecast the Miss USA pageant.
- Donald in the 19-page lawsuit accused Univision of trying to stifle his freedom of speech to favour Hillary Clinton, the Democratic frontrunner.
- Trump refused to back down from the comments he had made on the Mexicans.
Trump's comments make a hole in his pocket
- The Macy's departmental store chain which sold Donald Trump's menswear line, said it was cutting ties with him over his comments.
- Other retailers are facing pressure to distance from Trump as well.
- NBC, which aired Trump's "Apprentice" series, too cut its ties with the Republican over his brash comments regarding Mexicans. Trump has said that he will sue NBC as well.
Leadership critiques Trump's 'bigoted', 'ludicrous' ideas
- While most of the 2016 presidential candidates have ignored Trump, Marco Rubio called Trumps generalization of all Mexicans as drug dealers and criminals as "not just offensive and inaccurate, but also divisive,".
- Alfonso Aguilar, a Republican, called on other candidates to distance themselves from Trump and see his comments as "ludicrous, baseless and insulting."
- Trump's comments will hurt the Hispanic votes to the Republicans.
Donald Trump ruffles more feathers
- Nascar whose season-end awards ceremony for Truck series was to be held at Trump's property, has backed out.
- Donald Trump's 'bigoted and racist' comments have led to NASCAR distancing itself from Trump.
- Nascar was directed by its sponsors to take a stance against Donald Trump, which will entail that the motorsports series will not hold its awards ceremony at Trump National Doral, Miami.
Trump for 'warrantless searches' and ids for Muslims
- Donald Trump told Yahoo News that he would not mind 'tracking' Muslim Americans in a database by giving them "a special form of identification that noted their religion".
- He said he would regard "warrantless searches of Muslims and increased surveillance of mosques" as well.
- He said some people would be upset but America's security demanded it.
Donald and his changed Muslim stance
Reproached for his comment on Muslim databases, when asked again to clarify his stance he said: "I never responded. I never responded to that question. ... I never responded. I don't know who wrote it, but I never responded."
After Mexicans & Muslims, Trump moves to target 'blacks'
- Donald Trump lashed at the 'blacks', laced with incorrect and racially loaded murder statistics, a day after a black activist was assaulted by voters at a Donald Trump rally in Alabama.
- His tweet pegged that 81% Whites were killed by Blacks, 16% Whites killed by Whites which according to the FBI statistics stood at 15% and 82% respectively.
Trump defends his 'schlonged' jibe
- Donald Trump was forced to offer an explanation for his sexist remark on Hillary Clinton saying that by 'schlong' he meant beaten.
- Trump had used vulgar language to describe Clinton's 2008 loss to Obama saying "… She was going to beat – she was favored to win – and she got schlonged. She lost.
- "Schong" is a Yiddish slang for a man's genitals.