Kabul attack: Death toll rises to 43

World

25 Dec 2018

Death toll in Kabul attack rises to 43: Health Ministry

An hour-long gun and suicide attack on a Kabul government compound killed at least 43 people, the health ministry said today, making it one of the deadliest assaults on the Afghanistan capital this year.

No terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attack, which caps a bloody year for Afghanistan as civilians and security forces are slaughtered in record numbers.

Read the details here.

Terror

Several government workers jumped off from windows to escape terrorists

Several government workers jumped off from windows to escape terrorists

Another 10 people were wounded in yesterday's raid on a site, where the Ministry of Public Works and other offices are located, spokesman Waheed Majroh said.

Gunmen stormed the compound mid-afternoon after detonating a car bomb at the entrance, sending terrified government workers running for their lives.

Some even jumped from windows several floors high to escape the terrorists.

Terrorists killed

Four terrorists killed, including the suicide bomber: Official

Hundreds more were trapped inside buildings as heavily armed security forces swarmed the area, engaging in a fierce gun battle with the attackers.

The official said that at least four terrorists, including the suicide bomber, were killed and more than 350 people were freed.

Most of the victims were civilians, who've borne the brunt of the war, which is continuing since last 17 years.

Love World news?

Stay updated with the latest happenings.

Yes, notify Me

Deadliest attack

Afghanistan concerned over Trump's plan to withdraw troops

Afghanistan concerned over Trump's plan to withdraw troops

It was the deadliest assault in the Afghan capital since a suicide bomber blew himself up in the middle of a religious gathering last month, killing at least 55 people.

The raid followed a tumultuous few days in Afghanistan, where officials are reeling from US President Trump's plan to slash troop numbers, which many fear could harm efforts to end the conflict with Taliban.

Consequences

Trump's decision has rattled Kabul, potentially undermines peace efforts

It also comes after a major security shake-up in Kabul that has placed staunch anti-Taliban and Pakistan veterans in charge of the police and military.

While there has been no official announcement of a US drawdown, the mere suggestion of the United States reducing its military presence has rattled the Afghan capital and potentially undermined peace efforts.

Comment

US, NATO commander in Afghanistan says haven't received pull-out orders

US, NATO commander in Afghanistan says haven't received pull-out orders

General Scott Miller, the top US and NATO commander in Afghanistan, said on Sunday that he had not received orders to pull forces out of the country.

Trump's decision apparently came Tuesday as US peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad met with the Taliban in Abu Dhabi, a part of efforts to bring the militants to the negotiating table with Kabul.

Afghans fear troops' withdrawal will bring back Taliban into power

Many Afghans are worried that President Ashraf Ghani's fragile unity government would collapse if US troops pulled out, enabling the Taliban to return to power and potentially sparking another bloody civil war. Terrorists have previously attacked government ministries, departments because they're seen as soft targets.

Share this timeline

Afghanistan

Donald Trump

Kabul

Taliban

Terrorism

Terrorist Organizations

Terrorists Killed

Abu Dhabi

Another 10

Ashraf Ghani

General Scott Miller

Health Ministry

Many Afghans

Ministry of Public Works

NATO

President Ashraf Ghani

Public Works

Scott Miller

United States

US President Trump

Waheed Majroh

Zalmay Khalilzad

Share this timeline

Ask NewsBytes
User Image

Next Timeline