Khashoggi's murder 'wasn't a government-sanctioned operation,' say official

World

11 Feb 2019

Saudis don't know where Khashoggi's body is: Foreign Affairs official

Riyadh doesn't know the location of dissident Jamal Khashoggi's body, despite having detained the Saudi team that murdered him, a high-ranking foreign affairs official in the kingdom said in an interview with CBS that was broadcasted yesterday.

The dissident journalist was dismembered after he was murdered on October 2 in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul but his remains are yet to be found.

Comment

Accused Saudi officials 'acted outside their scope of authority': Jubeir

Accused Saudi officials 'acted outside their scope of authority': Jubeir

Adel al-Jubeir, Saudi minister of state for foreign affairs, said the murder was carried out by Saudi officials "acting outside their scope of authority" and that 11 people have been charged with the crime.

But asked where Khashoggi's body is, he said, "We don't know."

Jubeir said the public prosecutor responsible for the case had sought evidence from Turkey but had received no response.

Investigation

'We're asking them what they did with the body'

When questioned why those in custody couldn't tell them where the body was, Jubeir responded, "We are still investigating."

"We have now a number of possibilities and we're asking them what they did with the body, and I think this investigation is ongoing, and I would expect that eventually, we will find the truth," the foreign affairs official told CBS's Face the Nation.

Love World news?

Stay updated with the latest happenings.

Yes, notify Me

Trump ignored congressional deadline on Khashoggi's murder report

Jubeir was interviewed by CBS on Friday, the same day President Donald Trump ignored a congressional deadline for reporting on who assassinated Khashoggi, a columnist for The Washington Post, who had been openly critical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Suspect

Would go after Khashoggi 'with a bullet': Prince to aide

Would go after Khashoggi 'with a bullet': Prince to aide

The CIA has concluded the Saudi operation was likely directed by the crown prince, but the White House has sidestepped that finding amid strenuous denials by Riyadh, a key US-ally.

Media reported Friday that CIA had intercepted communications of the crown prince telling a top aide in 2017 that he would go after Khashoggi "with a bullet" if the journalist didn't return to Saudi.

Crown prince, we know, did not order this: Jubeir

Jubeir told the US TV program that the murder was a massive tragedy but he's "not going to comment on reports based on anonymous sources." He added, "The crown prince, we know, did not order this. This was not a government-sanctioned operation."

Share this timeline

Crown Prince Mohammed

Donald Trump

Jamal Khashoggi

Saudi

United States of America

's Face the Nation

Accused Saudi

Adel al-Jubeir

CIA

Foreign Affairs

Mohammed Bin Salman

President Donald Trump

Riyadh

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed

US TV

Washington Post

White House

Share this timeline

Ask NewsBytes
User Image

Next Timeline