World

Travel ban: US judge blocks Trump's new executive order

16 Mar 2017 | Written by NewsBytes Desk; Edited by Abheet Sethi

On March 16, a federal judge blocked Trump's renewed travel ban, hours before it was scheduled to begin.

US District Judge Derrick Watson said the government's argument of "national security" was based on "questionable evidence." Trump lambasted the move saying, it constituted an "unprecedented judicial overreach," into the government's functioning.

Trump insisted that the move is to stop terrorists from enter the US.

In context: Trump spars with judiciary over immigration ban

29 Jan 2017Citizens of 7 Muslim majority countries banned from US

On January 29, President Trump signed an executive order banning citizens from seven Muslim countries from entering the United States.

For starters, the ban was for 90 days however according to senior White House officials, this order was the first step towards a broader ban.

White House official reiterated that the administration would be "very aggressive" to fulfill its "mandate to keep America safe."

Executive orders by new president fairly common

It is common for a newly elected president to overturn his predecessor's policies by issuing executive orders. President Obama signed nine executive orders in his first 10 days in office. His use of such orders throughout his presidency left Republicans frustrated.
Love World news?
Stay updated with the latest happenings.
Appeal's court reject's Trump's demand to resume immigration ban

06 Feb 2017Appeal's court reject's Trump's demand to resume immigration ban

On February 6, the US Justice Department's emergency request to resume President Donald Trump's immigration ban was denied by a federal appeals court.

On February 3, a Washington federal judge suspended the ban, prompting the Justice Department's appeal.

The appeals court had asked opposing parties to file legal briefs before it makes its final decision.

The suspension would remain in place.

07 Mar 2017Trump excludes Iraq from new travel ban, covers 6 countries

On March 7, Trump issued a new executive order which temporarily bars citizens of six predominantly Muslim countries from entering America.

Unlike the previous order, Iraq wasn't in the list of excluded countries. Syrian refugees were also not barred indefinitely.

A provision prioritizing entry to Christians fleeing persecution abroad too had been removed.

The order would go into effect from March 16.

16 Mar 2017Travel ban: US judge blocks Trump's new executive order

13 Jun 2017Another federal court upholds block on Trump's travel ban

Yet another court has upheld a block on US President Donald Trump's revised travel ban.

The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals said the ban discriminates against people on the basis of their nationality, and hence violates US immigration law.

Moreover, Trump had failed to prove his contention that entry of people from the six countries would hurt American interests.

Love World news?
Stay updated with the latest happenings.

26 Jun 2017Trump's travel ban: US Supreme Court allows part of it

In what appears to be a victory for Donald Trump, the Supreme Court has let the present administration enforce its 90-day ban on travelers coming from the six Muslim-dominated countries.

The SC will allow part of it, and will hear the full case in October.

Earlier, Trump had said that the administration will make the ban effective within 72 hours of it being cleared.