Ukraine opts out of Trade Pact with EU
21 Nov 2013
- The country was to sign the pact in the coming week but MPs rejected a number of key bills, including the one that would have assured freeing Yulia Tymoshenko from jail.
- Yulia Tymoshenko is an ex-PM of Ukraine and is serving a 7-year sentence for abuse of power.
- President Viktor Yanukovych officially called off the talks between Ukraine and Brussels.
Ukraine signs economic deal with Russia
17 Dec 2013
- Amidst major protests due to the dead deal with EU, Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych signed an economic deal with Russia.
- Putin agreed to buy Ukrainian bonds worth $15 billion to bail out the country from its economic crisis.
- Russia further offered to sell Natural Gas to Ukraine at a discounted price of $268.5 per 1,000 cubic meters, down from the original rate of $400.
Russia all set to annex Crimea from Ukraine
18 Mar 2014
- Putin had signed a deal with Crimean leaders to join the peninsula into Russia.
- Putin told the parliament that "Crimea has always been part of Russia".
- Ukraine rejected the treaty. USA termed the treaty as a 'land grab' by Moscow.
- Ukraine said that the Crimea issue has now taken the shape of a military conflict.
Did you know?
Putin has repeatedly stressed upon the fact that over 70% of Crimean population is ethnically Russian. He believes that Russia’s control over Crimea is imperative to preserve a pure Russian race.
Ceasefire agreed in Ukraine
12 Feb 2015
- Russia and Ukraine signed a ceasefire in Belarus over the disputed Crimean territory in Ukraine.
- The ceasefire would come into force from midnight 15th February.
- The talks were also attended by Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel and France's president Francois Hollande.
- Notwithstanding the ongoing talks, Russia launched military exercises in 12 regions of Ukraine.
EU sanctions against Russia to go on
19 Mar 2015
- The economic sanctions against Russia due to Crimea's annexation will continue till the end of the year.
- The leaders decided to evaluate the sanctions based on complete implementation of the recent ceasefire agreement.
- The leaders have deferred the proposal of increasing the number of sanctions till June end.
- Many EU nations including Hungary and Austria, have expressed their skepticism over the ongoing sanctions.
Separatists admit receiving Russian help
31 Mar 2015
- Commander of the Ukrainian separatist forces said that Russian tanks and soldiers have been instrumental in winning key battles against Ukraine troops.
- Russia has been denying that it is helping the separatists in Ukraine.
- Dmitry Sapozhnikov, the leaders of the separatists troops said that all the large operations are being led by the officers from Russian military.
Ukraine President warns of Russian invasion
5 Jun 2015
- Ukraine's military has been asked to be prepared for a full-scale Russian invasion.
- The warning comes a day after the army's major confrontation with the Russian millitary along the joint border between the countries.
- Over 6,400 people have so far been killed in the ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
- Ukraine has been accusing Russia of backing the rebels and supplying them with arms.
Ukrainian crisis: Ceasefire agreed as Russia launches military exercises – across 12 regions - Europe - World - The Independent