In a major relief for residents of Jammu, the restrictions which government imposed days ago have been completely lifted, a top police official said on Wednesday.
However, those living in Kashmir will have to wait longer, said Munir Khan, additional director general of police.
"Restrictions will continue in some places of Kashmir for some time," Khan said while adding that situation was under control.
J&K was put under unprecedented security cover on August 4, a day before Centre decided to scrap the contentious Article 370 which gave special status to the state.
The Centre sent more than 30,000 troops to the state, snapped communication ties, and also "detained "local politicians.
Though the restrictions were eased for some hours on Friday and Saturday, they were re-imposed on Sunday.
On the security situation in J&K, Khan said everything was fine. "There have been only a few pellet injuries that have been treated," he said.
Earlier, the government had said restrictions will be relaxed in a phased manner depending on the situation on the ground.
Separately, J&K Governor Satya Pal Malik hinted that curbs on public movement will be eased after August 15.
Interestingly, the situation in J&K reached the Supreme Court on Tuesday when the court heard Tehseen Ponnawalla's PIL.
In the plea, he said modes of communication should be restored in the valley. His counsel Menaka Guruswamy slammed "complete blackout" and opined that hospitals, schools, and police stations should be allowed to function.
However, Centre's representative Attorney General KK Venugopal argued restrictions have saved lives.
Venugopal reminded the bench comprising Justices Arun Mishra, MR Shah, and Ajay Rastogi that after terrorist Burhan Wani was killed in 2016, it took almost three months to restore normalcy in the valley.
Fortunately, no one has died so far, he added.
Noting that the matter is extremely sensitive, the bench said Centre should be given more time to bring normalcy.
"Safety and security of the people should take precedence over everything else. In 2016, we saw so many killings and only after that restrictions were put in place but this time we took a pre-emptive call," an MHA official told NDTV.
Love India news?
Subscribe to stay updated.