In a shocking incident, at least 11 people including two children mysteriously died at Indore's MY Hospital in a few hours.
Initial reports said the accident happened after oxygen supply was mysteriously snapped for a few minutes.
To make things worse, the hospital said such numbers of deaths were "routine" in a large hospital.
However, Divisional Commissioner Sanjay Dubey attributed them to "illness".
Reports of lack of oxygen surfaced after mediapersons sought records of the patients as well oxygen supply logbook, but apparently everything was missing.
Officials insisted things were fine, but refused to show files.
Some highly-placed sources did confirm "disruption" in supply, but in the absence of any kind of record, it couldn't be verified. The men manning the supply system couldn't be found either.
Dubey ruled out reports of negligence. There was no break in oxygen supply. "The deaths are routine in a 1400-bed hospital," he said.
Incidentally, Dubey is also the chairman of the autonomous body of MGM Medical College, to which MY Hospital is attached.
MY's oxygen system has been under the scanner since two kids died after being supplied nitrogen instead of oxygen in May'16.
Every day, 60-70 people are put on oxygen, Dubey said. "If the oxygen supply had been cut off, the rest of the patients should also have died," he said. The hospital later said 16 people had died in 24 hours since June 21 morning.
Love India news?
Subscribe to stay updated.