Here's how onion juice can help prevent hair lossLast updated on Oct 07, 2019, 03:59 pm
Hair loss can be difficult to cope with.
It is caused by factors such as heredity, aging, hormonal imbalance, certain medical conditions and some medications, among others.
However, with healthy diet, lifestyle and simple home remedies, it can be managed.
For one, the antioxidant and anti-microbial properties of onion juice can help.
Here's how this natural potion can help prevent hair loss.
Onion juice can help fight hair thinning/breakage, promote hair growth
1) Rich in sulfur content, onions can help reduce breakage and thinning of hair.
2) Sulfur is also important for regeneration of hair follicles.
3) Onions can also help replenish nutrients that you may lose from your scalp over time.
4) By boosting the level of an antioxidant enzyme called catalase, onion juice can help decompose hydrogen peroxide, and facilitate hair growth cycle.
Onion juice can fight infections and early greying of hair
5) The antifungal and antibacterial qualities of onion juice can help lower risk of scalp infections, which shall further minimize hair loss.
6) Regular use of onions is also known to add shine to the hair.
7) Greying of hair is quite unwanted. The presence of natural antioxidants in onions can also help battle early greying of hair.
Onion juice may help remove dandruff and promote blood circulation
8) Regular use of onion juice has also shown to add significant volume to the hair.
9) Using onion juice may also help clear your scalp from dandruff, further improving the quality and growth of your hair.
10) Last but not the least, applying onion juice to the scalp can help promote blood circulation to it, thereby enhancing hair growth.
How to use
How to use onion juice to combat hair loss?
To prepare onion juice, start by taking an onion. Next, peel and finely chop it.
Then, pulp it in the food processor or blender. Finally, strain out the juice from the pulp.
To use, dip a cotton pad in this juice and apply gently all over your scalp.
Massage with your fingers before washing off with a mild shampoo and lukewarm/cold water.
Here are some general tips to battle hair loss
Apart from such home remedies, you should also follow these simple tips to fight hair loss:
1) Handle your hair with care: Avoid tight hairstyles like braids, buns and ponytails. Don't indulge in unnecessary pulling or twisting of hair.
2) Avoid consumption of medications that might cause hair loss.
3) Avoid artificial hair treatments such as hot rollers, curling irons, hot oil treatments, etc.
Some more tips to help you prevent hair loss
4) Be gentle while washing and brushing your hair. For brushing, use a wide-toothed comb to prevent hair loss.
5) Protect your hair from excessive sunlight and other sources of UV light.
6) Get rid of smoking, as studies suggest it triggers hair loss.
Note: If these prevention tips don't work, see your doctor for any serious underlying condition, and get appropriate treatment.