Netflix cancels 'House of Cards' over sexual-abuse allegation against SpaceyLast updated on Oct 31, 2017, 12:45 pm
Netflix has canceled 'House of Cards' after its lead actor Kevin Spacey was accused of sexual harassment. The sixth season, which releases in 2018, will be its last.
Actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making unwanted sexual advances on him when he was 14.
Netflix said the allegations were deeply troubling. Spacey has apologized to Rapp but said he can't remember the incident.
Reports suggest decision to cancel show was made months-back
'House of Cards' producers Media Rights Capital and Netflix said they met with the show's cast and crew "to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported."
"As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time," they added.
However, reports suggest the decision to end the show was made months ago, before the allegations against Spacey surfaced.
What is 'House of Cards'?
'House of Cards' began streaming in 2013.
It follows husband and wife team Frank (Spacey) and Claire Underwood (Robin Wright) as they ruthlessly manipulate their way to the Oval Office.
The show has received 33 Emmy award nominations and eight Golden Globe awards.
The show's first two seasons received favorable reviews but the recent seasons witnessed a mixed response.
Spacey's career takes hit, Emmy award for him revoked
Deadline has reported that 'Gore', a Netflix film that stars Spacey as author Gore Vidal may also now be on the chopping block.
Meanwhile, the International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences has decided not to bestow its 2017 International Emmy Founders Award to Spacey on November 20.
In June, the academy had announced it would honor Spacey with the award.