Fire at COVID-19 care center in Gujarat; 61 patients shifted
A fire broke out at a hotel-turned-COVID-19 care center in Gujarat's Bhavnagar in the wee hours of Wednesday, officials said, adding nobody was hurt. 61 coronavirus patients were shifted from the facility to other hospitals after "minor fire and smoke," an official said. "There were 68 patients at the facility when the fire broke out. The remaining seven will be shifted soon," he said.
The fire was minor and was doused immediately: Official
The hotel, around 170 km from the state capital, was converted into a COVID-19 care center by a private hospital. "The fire was minor and was doused immediately," the official said. "Smoke engulfed the third floor of the Generation X Hotel facility, where the patients were kept," said senior Fire Officer of Bhavnagar Fire Brigade, Bharat Kanada.
A spark in a TV caused the fire
"The fire was caused by a spark in a TV shortly after midnight. It was brought under control quickly. However, thick smoke filled the top floor of the three-story hotel, making it difficult for the patients to be kept there," Kanada said.
All 68 coronavirus patients at the center are safe
"As a precaution, around 61 COVID-19 patients were shifted to other hospitals with the help of the fire personnel. The remaining seven will also be shifted soon," the fire officer said. Bhavnagar Collector Gaurang Makwana said all the 68 coronavirus patients at the center were safe and the "minor fire" was brought under control immediately.
16 patients and two nurses died in Bharuch hospital fire
Earlier this month, 16 COVID-19 patients and two nurses died in a blaze at the four-storied Welfare Hospital in Bharuch in the state on May 1. The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday criticized the state government over the Bharuch hospital fire, saying it was contemptuous on its part to not remain vigilant and avoid such incidents, and cited many orders passed in this regard.