Mumbai: Coastal road promenade to overshadow Marine Drive walkway?
The 29.2 km-long coastal road project in Mumbai will give rise to the city's longest promenade, overtaking the iconic walkway at Marine Drive in south Mumbai, a senior civic official has said. The proposed promenade, a part of the road set to be built along the city's coast, will be 6.4 km-long, stretching from Worli to Priyadarshini Park via Haji Ali in south Mumbai.
"So far, Marine Drive, which is around 3.4 km-long, is the longest promenade in Mumbai. However, the promenade along the coastal road will be almost double its length, making it the longest public walkway in the city," the official said yesterday. The new promenade will be 20-meter wide and will have gardens, playgrounds, cycle-tracks, open auditoriums, toilets and seating arrangements for senior citizens.
The promenade will also have three underground parking spaces to accommodate around 1,625 vehicles, said the official. The walkway will come up on around 96.87 lakh sqft area of reclaimed land. Of this, 22% area will be used for the construction of the coastal road, while the remaining 78% of the land will be used for setting up public amenities, he said.
Once the project gets completed, the eight-lane and 29.2 km-long coastal road will start from Princess Street Flyover in Marine Lines and run up to suburban Kandivali. The stretch will have tunnels, bridges, interchanges, pedestrian underpasses and foot-over-bridges along the route.