A look at R Ashwin's numbers in ODI cricket
Senior Indian off-spinner R Ashwin is set to return to the ODI fold. He was included in India's squad for the upcoming three-match ODI series against South Africa. The 35-year-old earned an ODI call-up after nearly five years. Ashwin, who has been India's specialist spinner in Tests, last played an ODI in June 2017. Here are his stats in the 50-over format.
- Ashwin has been the mainstay spinner for India in Test cricket.
- He has become India's most successful off-spinner.
- Ashwin was not considered for selection in limited-overs cricket after July 2017 (WI T20I series).
- He made his T20I comeback in the 2021 T20 World Cup.
- Considering his exploits with the white ball, the selection committee was keen on bringing Ashwin back in ODIs too.
Ashwin made his ODI debut in 2010 against Sri Lanka at Harare. In an international career spanning over a decade, he has represented India in 111 ODIs. Ashwin has taken 150 wickets at an average of 32.91 and an economy of 4.91 in the format. His best bowling figures of 4/25 came against the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the 2015 ICC World Cup.
Ashwin is the fastest Indian off-spinner to take 150 wickets in ODI cricket. Interestingly, he achieved the feat in his last ODI, his 111th (against West Indies at North Sound). Ashwin took three wickets in that match. Among Indians, he is behind Ajit Agarkar (97), Zaheer Khan (103), Anil Kumble (106), and Irfan Pathan (106) on the tally.
Ashwin has taken 65 wickets from 42 matches at an average of 30.87 in home conditions. In as many matches, the off-spinner has 41 wickets away from home. Ashwin has also played 27 ODIs at neutral venues, taking 44 wickets.