Massive fire engulfs textile godown cum residential building in Bhiwandi
A fire broke out in a residential building in Bhiwandi region. As many as 20 residents rushed to the terrace of the building to escape the blaze. While no deaths were reported, an elderly woman sustained minor wounds during the rescue. The fire broke out in the morning at 7.30 am in the "godown and spread in other rooms on the ground floor".
Reason behind the fire
The fire transpired in a godown where power loom-related supplies like oil and wool were stored on the ground floor of the three-storey Aam Manzil, a structure in a residential locality of Nagaon in Bhiwandi. The proximity of oil drums at the site led to the blaze spreading in other quarters. Short-circuit was speculated to be the reason behind the blaze.
80-150 people trapped in the Bhiwandi fire
It was assumed that 80-150 people were trapped in the residential complex.
Rescue kicks in
As news of the Bhiwandi fire broke out, police and seven fire tenders were rushed to the site of fire. Bhiwandi tehsildar Vaishali Lambhate said the cooling operations had been undertaken at the lower levels of the complex. The fire brigade used hydraulic ladders to evacuate the people stuck inside the building and the ones who had rushed to the terrace.
3 jump off the building in panic
Three people were reported injured in the fire as they had tried to jump from the building in panic.
Fire at Bhiwandi building under control
An hour after the rescue operations began, the fire at the Bhiwandi residential complex was doused. No casualties were reported. BJP leader Shahnawaz Hussain tweeted about the fire and prayed for the safety of those trapped. The investigation to ascertain what led to the fire has already begun and the district tehsildar said action would be taken if negligence was the reason behind it.