Pubs, restaurants using dangerous liquid in drinks, ice-cream
Pubs and restaurants in Bengaluru are increasingly using liquid nitrogen to freeze or create vapor clouds or over drinks and ice-creams. Doctors say liquid nitrogen is frequently being used, but many don't know about its harms. If consumed before evaporation, liquid nitrogen may burn the tissues and digestive-tract. If taken in amounts exceeding a tea spoon, it expands inside the stomach, causing rupture.
"If liquid nitrogen is consumed before it evaporates out of the drink or food, it may burn the tissues and digestive tract. One should wait till the fog evaporates to consume the drink," said Dr Emmany Sam, senior clinical dietician, Narayana Health City.
A few months ago, a Delhi-based man ended up with a stomach hole after drinking cocktail topped with liquid Nitrogen. Post that, Haryana Food and Drugs administration had prohibited its use with any drink/food article across the state. The authority passed the order highlighting damages caused by Liquid Nitrogen. "If swallowed, gas can lead to serious internal damage, destroying tissues in mouth/intestinal area," the order said.
The timeline is brewing!