Mumbai: Doctor sexually assaults 44-year-old male COVID-19 patient
In a shocking incident, a 34-year-old doctor has been accused of sexually assaulting a 44-year-old male coronavirus patient in Mumbai's Wockhardt Hospital on May 1. The accused has now been sacked by the posh medical facility. He has also been booked, but over fears that he might have contracted coronavirus, he wasn't immediately arrested. He was sent for quarantine at his home in Thane.
According to a report in Indian Express, the accused doctor holds an MD degree, and had recently finished his education from a college in Navi Mumbai. He is a new recruit and joined the hospital on April 30, the same day when the victim was hospitalized. The alleged incident took place at 1:30 am inside the ICU ward of the hospital.
The complaint states that the accused entered the ICU ward on the tenth floor of the building and made sexual advances towards the victim, who tried to resist them. "The patient raised an alarm when the doctor assaulted him and staffers who were stationed outside went inside the room," an officer said. Subsequently, hospital authorities were informed. A police complaint was also registered.
"We have registered a case but we have not arrested the doctor. He came in close contact with the patient, so we suspect even he might have got infected," said Agripada station's Senior Inspector Savlaram Agwane. The victim and accused haven't recorded their statements yet.
A senior doctor at the hospital said the authorities had to immediately hire younger doctors as those above 60 years, having comorbidities, were asked to remain at home. He was not known to many and was interviewed on April 28 and 29. He was booked under IPC Sections 377 (unnatural offenses), 269 (negligent act likely to spread infection of diseases endangering life) et al.
"The doctor was on his first day of duty, having joined the previous day. Following the receipt of information of misconduct and as per protocol, the administration immediately informed the police. The services of the doctor were terminated," the hospital said in a statement.
Last month, the Wockhardt Hospital was shut temporarily after three doctors and 26 nurses tested positive for COVID-19. With time, 80 staffers got infected. The source of this mass infection was possibly a 70-year-old patient who tested positive on March 27. He is believed to have passed on the infection to two nurses. The hospital re-opened on April 23.