Pune: Woman dies after drinking bottle-gourd juice, doctors issue precautions
Pune doctors have advised people against consuming bitter vegetables, as a local woman passed away reportedly after drinking the juice of a bottle gourd. After her death, locals started panicking but doctors said it was unnecessary. However, they suggested to trust senses and not consume vegetables with a foul smell or bitter taste. They also advised buying vegetables from hygienic places.
Deceased woman had no health condition, drank juice daily
On June 12, a 41-year-old woman, who had no underlying medical condition, consumed bottle gourd juice and complained of vomiting and loose motion. Drinking the juice was a part of her daily routine, a family friend said. Her condition worsened in the next three days, and she later succumbed to complications. Her death raised doubts if consuming bottle gourd was safe.
Calling such incidents rare, doctors said no need to panic
"There is no reason for panic and vegetables, including bottle gourd and cucumber, are being consumed since centuries and such incidents are very rare," Dr Ajit Kolhatkar said. Another doctor, Dr Sheetal Dadphale said it was known to all that vegetables can get poisonous. "Consumption of these poisonous vegetables in any form can result in nausea, vomiting, vomiting blood and even death," she added.
Excess of cucurbitacin may have led to death, explained doctor
A Pune-based child psychiatrist, Dr Bhooshan Shukla said the juice the woman consumed may have had excess of cucurbitacin- a toxin produced by cucumber family. Dr Shukla said bitterness should be considered a sign of not eating the vegetable. "Millions of people all over the world consume such smoothies for better health. Every year a few lose their life due to similar toxicity," he added.