#MeTooEffect: Film Association suspends Sajid Khan post sexual harassment allegations
Bollywood's #MeToo movement unmasked several sexual predators of the industry and Sajid Khan was one of them. The renowned filmmaker was accused of sexual harassment by several women. Although Sajid had said he was innocent, the Indian Film and Television Directors' Association (IFTDA) took strong action against him and suspended him for one year. Here's more on this.
There are serious instances of power abuse against Sajid: IFTDA
Reportedly, IFTDA took this decision after Sajid was accused of sexual misconduct by three women. In light of the #MeToo movement, the victims shared their horrifying ordeals and highlighted problematic behavior of Sajid. "The Committee investigated the complaints in the spirit of POSH Act. The allegations in the complaints are serious instances of sexual harassment and abuse of power by Sajid Khan," said IFTDA.
Sajid faces dire consequences post #MeToo movement
Sajid didn't give any explanation to IFTDA
According to the media reports, IFTDA took the decision after Sajid appeared before the Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) on October 31. It was reported that during the investigation, Sajid didn't defend himself and didn't give an explanation regarding the allegations leveled against him. Notably, the reports also suggested that the filmmaker agreed he was abusive and disrespectful towards women.
Sajid admitted having sexual relations with women
The media reports also suggested that Sajid had earlier rubbished the sexual harassment allegations leveled against him. However, the filmmaker did admit that his language and behavior towards women has been impolite. In fact, Sajid even agreed he had sexual relations with women. However, he emphasized that the relations were consensual. Following ICC's recommendation, Sajid was suspended for a year by IFTDA.
Sajid's suspension will send a strong message: IFTDA
Talking about Sajid's suspension, Ashok Pandit, President of IFTDA, said that it will send out a loud message to everyone. "By suspending Sajid for a year, we have only tried to put forth a word that there is redressal as long as you have the courage to speak up and bring out the complete truth, better late than never," he told TOI.
Sajid stepped down as 'Housefull 4' director
As the allegations against Sajid created a furor in the industry, the filmmaker chose to step down as the director of Housefull 4. He made the announcement on Twitter and wrote, "I must take moral responsibility of stepping down from my directorial post, till the time I can allay the allegations and prove the truth. Kindly not pass judgment till the truth is out".