It's no entry for Goans in casinos from next yearLast updated on Aug 04, 2018, 11:20 am
It'll be closed doors for Goans in the casinos from 2019.
CM Manohar Parrikar said yesterday that only tourists will be allowed in the playing areas of the current six offshore casinos operating from Mandovi River, and nine onshore casinos at five star resorts.
A casino policy will be formulated by next month and a gaming commissioner will be appointed for regulating the industry.
Existing casinos to be given four years to shift
Parrikar, while speaking at the legislative assembly, said special zones will be allocated for the offshore casinos operating in Panaji.
The existing casinos will be allowed four years to shift to the designated zones.
Additionally, licenses for new casinos will be issued only if "they grant their willingness, within a year from the date of policy being declared, to shift their operations to notified zones."
New casinos to get licenses for 10-15 years
"Licenses for casino operations being granted in the designated zone can be considered for tenure of 10 to 15 years given the huge investment required for such projects," he informed, on final day of the monsoon session.
Last year both Parrikar and Vijai Sardesai, cabinet minister and GFP leader, BJP's ally, had indicated about shifting of casinos.
Meanwhile, Opposition leader Chandrakant Kavlekar, welcomed the move.
Casino owners worried about the business viability
Meanwhile, casino-owners cried that now they have to shut shop, given that the annual license fee was also hiked by 100% earlier this year.
Kundan Shetye, an onshore casino-owner said that if the hiked fee decision is reversed, then "maybe we can manage."
The floating casinos see 400 footfalls per vessel per day on weekends, giving them a business of around Rs. 120crore a year.