Fire engulfs school building in Ahmedabad; three workers rescued
Three workers were rescued by the fire brigade after a major blaze engulfed a six-story school building in Gujarat's Ahmedabad city on Friday, officials said. Initially, the locals thought three students were trapped on the terrace of the Ankur International School in the Naroda area of Ahmedabad after the building was engulfed in flames and resultant smoke.
Fire brought under control after one-and-half-hour-long operation
However, the school management informed fire brigade officials that the trapped persons were carpenters who were called there for furniture work. "The fire, which started at around 11 am, was brought under control after a one-and-half-hour-long operation involving 20 fire tenders," said fire officer Mithun Mistry. "The fire started on the ground floor and engulfed some upper floors quickly," Mistry said.
School was shut; no student was present in the building
"The fire has been brought under control. Three workers, who were trapped on the terrace, were rescued and brought down using the main staircase," said Mistry. "Due to COVID-19, the school was shut and no student was present in the building," he said.
Fire might have started in the wood polishing chemical: Mistry
"Locals thought three students had got trapped," the fire officer further said. However, they were workers engaged in some furniture work. "The fire might have started in the wood polishing chemical which was kept on the ground floor along with the plywood sheets. Either an electrical short-circuit or a burning cigarette triggered the fire," said Mistry.