Woman goes to make tea, finds 5-foot-long snake in kitchen
It was a normal day for Suman Gautam, who lives in Sheetla Colony, Gurugram, till she spotted a five-foot-long Indian rock python in her kitchen. On Wednesday morning, just as she went to the kitchen to make tea, she noticed something moving under the stove. To her shock, it was a snake and it took Gautam a few minutes before she could alert others.
Gautam's husband, Satish Kumar, who is an automobile executive and works in Bhiwani, said his crying wife called him around 8:40 AM to inform about the python. "Her voice was trembling with fear; she was sobbing," he said. She had never seen a snake in her life, Kumar said. He then called the wildlife authorities and asked them to visit his house.
Wildlife enthusiast Anil Gandas said he was in Faridabad when he received the call, and it took him almost an hour to reach the spot. By the time, residents had come to Gautam's place, and Gandas directed them to not disturb the snake, and stay calm. The locals informed him reptile was getting restless to be rescued. Later, the python was rescued by Gandas.
This was the first time a reptile was spotted inside a residence in the city, and the 15th this year. In the past, snakes were spotted at Sohna Dhani, Ghata, Gadoli Khurd and Baliyawas villages. Additional Principal chief conservator of forests, Vinod Kumar, said rain coaxed the snakes out of forests and they wandered towards residential areas in hope of food items like rats.
Kumar said unlike earlier when people retorted to tricks to ward reptiles off, on their own, they have started calling authorities lately. The Gurugram Wildlife Department got 698 calls since January 1. But when people took rescue operation into their hands, lives were lost; like a cobra was killed in Palam Vihar in June. Calling authorities is the right path, always.