'Program not appropriate': MEA after blocking Revanth Reddy's US visit
What's the story
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has said Telangana Chief Minister Revanth Reddy's proposed visit to the US was denied political clearance as it was deemed inappropriate considering Reddy's office and the visit's purpose. Jaiswal said that all foreign visits by chief ministers and other dignitaries are assessed by the ministry before political clearance is granted. "The program proposed, in such cases, should be appropriate to the office held and the purpose of the visit," he said.
Visit assessment
MEA clears UK trip
"In this particular case, that was not so in respect of the United States, and therefore the clearance was denied," he said.
However, he did not elaborate on what specific aspects of Reddy's proposed US visit were found inappropriate.
While clearance was not granted for the US visit, he said the Centre had given political clearance for Reddy's trip to the United Kingdom.
Visit cancelation
US leg of Reddy's foreign tour canceled
The Telangana Chief Minister's Office (CMO) had earlier announced that Reddy's proposed US visit was canceled after the Centre denied permission on "political grounds."
The CMO said the Telangana Rising delegation led by Reddy was "forced to cancel" its US visit due to the MEA's decision.
The US leg of the tour was part of a larger outreach program called Telangana Rising, where Reddy was to meet stakeholders and potential investors.
Early return
Reddy currently in London
Reddy is currently in London as part of the official Telangana Rising delegation.
He was supposed to travel to the US after his UK engagements and return to Hyderabad on August 30.
However, due to the cancellation of his US visit, he will now return to Hyderabad on August 23 instead of traveling to Boston.