Tennis: Nagal now eligible for Tokyo singles draw
Indian tennis player Sumit Nagal is now eligible to compete in the men's singles event at the Tokyo Olympics, the world governing body ITF has communicated to the AITA, a source in the national tennis body said on Friday. Nagal was ranked 144 on June 14, when ATP rankings were to be considered for direct entries.
Coronavirus has led to various withdrawals
Another specialist singles player Prajnesh Gunneswaran was ranked 148 and it remains to be seen if he also makes the cut as the deadline for accepting tennis entries is closing in a few hours from now. The stringent protocols under which the Games are being held and the fear of contracting coronavirus have forced many withdrawals that kept lowering the cut-off mark.
Previously, Yuki Bhambri withdrew from the games
"We have received a mail from the ITF that Sumit is now eligible. We have started the process of getting him in," an AITA official said. Yuki Bhambri, with his Protected Ranking of 127, also made the cut but since he recently underwent a procedure on his right knee in the US, he has made himself unavailable. "I won't be playing," Bhambri said.
Need to see if he makes doubles draw with Bopanna
If Nagal can make it to Tokyo by completing all the required formalities, it remains to be seen if he makes the doubles draw with Rohan Bopanna, who could not enter with Divij Sharan till now. Bopanna and Sharan's combined rank is 113 and they were still the fifth alternate recently. ITF is giving priority to the singles players to fill the doubles draw.
Sania Mirza and Ankita Raina to compete in women's doubles
Nagal's entry would also mean that India can now enter mixed doubles draw as well. Sania Mirza and Ankita Raina are certain to compete in the women's doubles draw. Mirza used her protected rank of nine to enter with Raina. All top-10 players get direct entry and have the privilege to choose a partner of their choice, who is ranked inside the top 300.