LOADING...
Summarize
Trump halts all asylum decisions after Afghan shooter's deadly attack
The decision comes after a November 26 shooting involving an Afghan

Trump halts all asylum decisions after Afghan shooter's deadly attack

Nov 29, 2025
11:36 am

What's the story

The Trump administration has ordered the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to stop all asylum decisions. The decision comes in the wake of a shooting incident involving an Afghan national, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, who entered the US in 2021 and was granted asylum earlier this year. The incident left one National Guard member dead and another critically injured.

Official statement

USCIS director confirms halt on asylum decisions

The USCIS has been instructed to stop approvals, denials, and case closures for all nationalities. However, interviews and case reviews can continue until a decision would normally be entered. In-person appointments where applicants receive final decisions have also been canceled. USCIS Director Joe Edlow confirmed to CBS News the halt in asylum decisions, stating that it is necessary to ensure maximum vetting for public safety.

Program review

Afghan resettlement program under scrutiny after shooting incident

The shooting has also put the spotlight on the Afghan resettlement program, Operation "Allies Welcome" and Operation "Enduring Welcome." These programs have resettled nearly 200,000 Afghans in the US, many of whom worked with American troops during the Afghanistan War. Lakanwal was among those brought to the US under this program. He now faces a first-degree murder charge in the death of 20-year-old Specialist Sarah Beckstrom.

Vetting process

Afghan immigrants extensively vetted, experts say

Experts have said that Afghan immigrants are among the most extensively vetted. Andrew Selee of the Migration Policy Institute said Lakanwal "was vetted both before he landed, probably once he landed, once he applied for asylum." Haris Tarin, a former US official involved in resettling Afghans, stressed that this incident is not a failure of screening but rather an integration issue.

Immigration proposals

Trump proposes stricter immigration measures following shooting

In light of the incident, President Donald Trump has proposed stricter immigration measures. He said he would "permanently pause all migration" from nearly 20 countries and "terminate all of the millions of Biden illegal admissions...and remove anyone who is not a net asset to the United States, or is incapable of loving our country." Related changes were already being implemented through executive orders over the past 10 months, including most recently in June.

Immigrant concerns

Afghan immigrants in US express fear and uncertainty

The shooting has left many Afghan immigrants in the US fearful and uncertain about their legal status. Nesar, a 22-year-old Afghan who recently arrived in America, expressed discomfort after the incident. Another anonymous Afghan national said he feels scrutiny due to the actions of one extremist despite his contributions to American society as a defense attorney.