Loading...
2 patrons of gurdwara stabbed in Canada's Edmonton 
The victims were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries

2 patrons of gurdwara stabbed in Canada's Edmonton 

Aug 22, 2026
09:37 am

What's the story

Two people were injured in a stabbing attack at a gurdwara in Edmonton, Canada, on Friday morning. The victims, aged 75 and 51, were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries. A 27-year-old suspect was arrested at the scene after witnesses intervened. According to cops, the suspect has a history of violent offenses and had been released from federal prison just a day before this incident.

Suspect profile

Suspect released from federal institution a day before attack

The suspect was released from a federal institution in Alberta on Thursday after serving time for aggravated assault and assaulting a peace officer.

He had failed to report to his designated halfway house in Edmonton before the attack.

The Edmonton Police Service's Hate Crimes unit is investigating the incident; however, no motive has been disclosed yet.

Community reaction

Victims were priest, longtime volunteer: Gurdwara officials

Zora Grewal, vice-president of Nanaksar Gurdwara Gursikh Temple, said that the victims were a temple priest and a longtime volunteer.

The incident occurred at Nanaksar Gurdwara at about 5:00am local time, when the man entered the premises and tried to enter the prayer area.

On being stopped, he lashed out and stabbed the priest repeatedly with a screwdriver before turning his weapon on the volunteer.

"Quick-acting witnesses" intervened and detained the man before police arrived, Acting Inspector Eric Stewart said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Political response

Alberta premier calls for reforms to federal bail laws

Temple officials said no Sikh scriptures were damaged in the incident. The temple was temporarily closed for investigation and officials are considering additional security measures.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney condemned the attack as "appalling."

He said no person should feel unsafe in their place of worship. "I want to thank the Edmonton Police Service for their swift response," he said.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also condemned the violence and called for reforms to federal bail and parole laws.

ADVERTISEMENT