MRI machine death: BMC report holds ward boy, aaya responsible
After 2.5 months of the incident, the BMC report holds the MRI room's ward boy and hospital help responsible for the death of Rajesh Maru (32), who died within minutes after being sucked into the MRI machine in Nair hospital. The report says that they had asked Maru to hold the oxygen cylinder and enter the MRI room, both of which are against the protocol.
Municipal-Commissioner Ajoy Mehta said that a detailed inquiry will be conducted and 'quantum of punishment will be decided based on this inquiry.' The report also enlists some preventive measures to avoid further mishaps, like tightening security, regulating entry of patient's kin, etc. Meanwhile, Nair hospital is conducting a separate inquiry against the doctors and nurses who were present in the MRI room that day.
"Events that took place prior to the incident were recorded on CCTV camera outside MRI room. A standard operating procedure was not followed. The two staff failed to do their duty," said I A Kundan, Additional Municipal Commissioner, in-charge of municipal hospitals and health departments.
Metallic objects are prohibited inside the MRI room, because of the strong magnetic field. Since on that unfortunate day the MRI machine was on, the oxygen cylinder (made of metal) got pulled in and Maru, who was holding it got dragged too. Its nozzle went off and he started inhaling fumes. Within minutes, he died of pneumothorax, which happens when excessive air causes lung-collapse.