Doctors at Mumbai hospital extract LED bulb from infant's lungs
A group of doctors at Mumbai's Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital in Parel area removed an LED bulb from a seven-month-old baby girl's lungs through a two-minute bronchoscopy. The LED bulb extracted was two-centimetre in diameter and was swallowed by the baby girl while playing with a toy mobile phone. The baby girl, Ariba Khan originally hails from Chiplun in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra.
X-ray revealed presence of a foreign object in her lungs
Ariba's parents being unaware of the incident took her to doctors in Ratnagiri as she was suffering from a cough and fever persistently. However, the doctors there couldn't diagnose anything and her condition deteriorated. Later, on a relatives' advice the family took the child to Wadia hospital where an X-Ray revealed that there was a foreign object in her right lung.
The bulb was removed after two bronchoscopies
Speaking about Ariba's bronchoscopy, Wadia Hospital's Head of Department ENT, Divya Prabhat said, "An intravenous course of antibiotics and steroids were given for 2 days to clear the infection following which another bronchoscopy was performed when the bulb was removed from the lungs using forceps."