Mumbai's dabbawalas condole the death of UK's Prince Philip

Last updated on Apr 10, 2021, 11:48 am
Mumbai's dabbawalas condole the death of UK's Prince Philip

Mumbai's famous dabbawalas (tiffin carriers) have expressed grief over the death of Britain's Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Philip, the longest-serving consort in British history, died on Friday at the age of 99.

"On behalf of all the dabbawalas of Mumbai, I pay my heartfelt condolences to Prince Philip," said Raghunath Medge, an office-bearer of the dabbawalas' association.

Here are more details.

Details

Dabbawallas visited London during Prince Charles's second royal wedding

In 2005, Medge and his colleague Sopan Mare had an opportunity to attend Prince Charles's second wedding with Camilla Parker Bowles.

Recalling his eight-day visit to London for the royal wedding, he said that they had an opportunity to have breakfast with Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, along with other royal family members at Windsor Castle.

Quote

Prince Philip came across as a humble person: Medge

"At Windsor Castle, we had breakfast with the royal family twice when Queen Elizabeth II and her family members, including Prince Philip, were present," said Medge, adding that though they didn't get an opportunity to interact with him, they found him a very humble person.

Prince Charles

Prince Charles has become our family member: Medge

"Prince Charles has become our family member ever since he came to see us at Churchgate Station in Mumbai in 2003," Medge said.

"Therefore, we are saddened to hear the news of Prince Philip's death, and we stand by the family in the moment of grief," said Subhash Talekar, a leader of dabbawalas.

Information

Prince Charles's Mumbai visit in 2003 brought dabbawalas to limelight

Medge said that the dabbawalas have been providing tiffin service to the city for over a century, but they first came to the limelight when Prince Charles visited them in November 2003 and admired their clockwork precision with which they deliver tiffin boxes.

Background

Prince Philip had recently spent a month in hospital

To recall, the Duke had been taken to King Edward VII's hospital in London on February 16.

Reportedly, he was feeling unwell and had walked into the hospital unaided.

He was briefly transferred to St Bartholomew's where he underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition.

He was discharged on March 16 after a month's stay in the hospital.

Royal Duties

Prince Philip retired from royal duties in 2017

Prince Philip had retired from royal duties back in 2017.

At the time, he had joked that he was the "world's most experienced plaque unveiler."

Over the years, he had received treatment for various health conditions, including a blocked coronary artery in 2011, a bladder infection in 2012, and exploratory surgery on his abdomen in June 2013.

Share this timeline
Software engineer dupes 22,000 people through shopping website, arrested
Latest News
Latest Mumbai News