Coronavirus outbreak: England cricketers make an initial donation of £500,000
England men's centrally contracted players will make an initial donation of £500,000 to the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) in response to the financial crisis engulfing the game as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. A statement was issued by the Professional Cricketers' Association and the players' union. Here are further details on the same.
ECB said chief executive Tom Harrison had volunteered to take a 25% pay cut. Tuesday saw Harrison unveil the ECB's £61 million ($76 million) aid package in response to the spread of COVID-19. Earlier, the start of the English season was delayed until May 28 and placed question marks over the future of lucrative incoming tours by the West Indies, Pakistan and Australia.
"Following a meeting today of all of the England men's centrally contracted cricketers, the players have agreed to make an initial donation of £0.5million to the ECB and to selected good causes," said a statement issued by the PCA on behalf of England's Player Partnership group. "The precise details of the charitable donation will be decided over the next week by the players."
Meanwhile, the centrally contracted members of the England women's cricket team will take a voluntary salary reduction in April, May and June. "All the players felt like it was the right response in the current climate," said England women's skipper Heather Knight. "We know how the current situation is affecting the game and we want to help as much as we can."
Several Indian cricketers have come forward to contribute in this period. Rohit Sharma donated Rs. 80 lakh, whereas, legend Sachin Tendulkar contributed Rs. 50 lakh to the Prime Minister's Relief Fund and Chief Minister's Relief Fund. Last week, Ajinkya Rahane donated Rs. 10 lakh towards Chief Minister's Relief Fund. Earlier, the Pathan brothers donated 4,000 masks to contain the spread of coronavirus.