T20 World Cup 2020: Organizers looking at different scenariosLast updated on Apr 06, 2020, 06:11 pm
While the coronavirus pandemic has disarrayed the sports community globally, the T20 World Cup organizing committee remains optimistic about the upcoming tournament.
The tournament, which is scheduled to commence from October 18 in Australia, has been shrouded under speculations.
However, the Chief Executive of the T20 World Cup Organizing Committee, Nick Hockley believes it is still early to make any decision on the matter.
'We want to go ahead as planned', says Hockley
"We're wanting to give ourselves the best possible chance of going ahead as planned, so there's no quick decision. Hopefully it's all resolved and we go ahead. In the event that it isn't completely resolved, we are looking at all the different scenarios," Hockley said.
Hockley remains optimistic about hosting World T20
The T20 World Cup will commence with hosts Australia facing Pakistan in the opener following the qualifiers.
After the postponement of AFL season, the focus would be on the T20 World Cup.
"People love a World Cup, cricket is Australia's national sport. We're playing all around the country and T20 is the format that appeals to the broadest possible demographic," Hockley stated.
Australia's travel ban came into force last month
The deadly COVID-19, which has claimed over 70,000 lives globally, led to the postponement of all marquee sporting events.
Earlier, the Australian Government sealed the borders, except for citizens, permanent residents and their close family members.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison asserted that the travel imposed on the citizens is "indefinite" presently.
The nation has reported 39 deaths so far.
ICC mulls contingency plan for upcoming events
In a meeting held last week, the ICC board members had a formal discussion about the impact of coronavirus pandemic on cricket fraternity.
ICC Chief Executive Manu Sawhney revealed that the board will continue with a contingency plan for the Test Championship and T20 World Cup.
He added that the tournament faces no scare of suspension and is on, as of now.