#NewZealandTerrorAttack: One Indian-origin man among 49 dead, six missing
One man of Indian origin was among the 49 who were brutally killed when two mosques in New Zealand's Christchurch area were attacked on Friday. According to IE, two Indians are injured and six are missing. Prime Minister Narendra Modi wrote to his NZ counterpart Jacinda Ardern expressing shock over the barbaric attack. PM Modi underscored that India stood with NZ. Here's more.
Backstory: Driven by Islamophobia, gunmen opened fire at mosques
Unsuspecting people who had gone to Al Noor and Linwood mosques to offer prayers were attacked by terrorists, who were driven by Islamophobia. The terrorist who opened fire at victims in Al Noor mosque reportedly live-streamed the incident. One terrorist was Australian-born, who had strong anti-immigrant and anti-Islam thoughts. Ardern described the attack as "one of the darkest days of New Zealand".
Indian-origin man killed in barbaric attack
The deceased Indian has been identified as Mohammed Juned Kara, who hailed from Navsari in Gujarat but was born in NZ. Juned ran a grocery store and is survived by his wife Sahiba and three children. His father-in-law Mohammed Ahmed said that Juned's father Mohammed Yusuf Kara shifted to NZ long ago. The eldest among Juned's children is 10 years old, he revealed.
Sahiba went from hospital to mosque looking for her husband
Ahmed said that on learning about the incident they contacted Sahiba, who was in a rush as Juned's phone was unreachable. Sahiba then went to the hospital but couldn't find Juned's name on the list of injured. Subsequently, Sahiba went to the mosque and found her husband's name on the list of the deceased. "She called us around 8 pm and informed us," Ahmed said.
Juned visited Gujarat a few years ago: Ahmed
Ahmed said Juned visited Surat a few years ago. "He visited his native place in Ankleshwar. My daughter also accompanied him. We all are shocked by this incident as Mohammed Juned was humble and down to earth," he added.
Separately, man who became father few days ago is missing
Gujarat residents 58-year-old Arif Vohra and his 28-year-old nephew Rameez Vohra, who had been living in NZ for eight years, are said to missing. Rameez became a father five days ago. His uncle Mohsinbhai Vohra said, "His wife and daughter were going to get discharged from the hospital today and before that the shooting happened." Notably, Arif and his wife went to NZ to welcome the new baby.
Hyderabad-resident who ran a hotel is also missing
The video of the mass killing shocked one family of Hyderabad as they saw that their son Ahmed Jahangir Khursheed was shot. Khursheed moved to NZ 15 years ago and ran a small hotel in Christchurch. He lives there with his wife and two kids. His brother Iqbal said his sister-in-law didn't know much and he would go to NZ now.
I want to go to Christchurch immediately: Iqbal
"My sister-in-law does not have much information about his condition as he is in hospital where visitors are not being allowed. I want to go to Christchurch immediately to help my sister-in-law and take care of the two children until my brother recovers," Iqbal said.
Meanwhile, Farhaj's family is waiting for a word from him
Another Hyderabad resident who is reportedly missing is a software engineer named Farhaj Ehsan, who lives in NZ with his family. His father Mohammed Sayeeduddin said Ehsan's wife called them around 8 AM on Friday (Indian time) to inform about the carnage. Police told Ehsan's wife that he was not among the 49 who died.
The family is hoping he is fine
"He is not among the injured also. But police have said that at least 17 persons were missing. We are hoping that as there is a lockdown he may be held up somewhere and unable to contact anyone," the father said.
Meanwhile, Owaisi contacted Sushma Swaraj seeking help
Meanwhile, AIMIM Chief Asaduddin Owaisi reached out to External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj seeking help for families of those who went missing. Owaisi tweeted details and asked the ministry to expedite the visa processes. Later, he put out another tweet to thank Swaraj for giving him updates. "They have assured us that they're making all efforts to get the visa process expedited," he tweeted.
Owaisi thanked Swaraj for personally updating him
Raveesh Kumar said MEA is in touch with local authorities
Raveesh Kumar, the spokesperson of MEA, said the ministry was in touch with local authorities to ascertain more details. "It is a sensitive matter and therefore we can't give confirmed numbers/names till we are absolutely certain," he stressed. India's High Commission in NZ tweeted that Indians can call on 021803899 or 021850033 for assistance. Notably, NZ houses nearly 200,000 Indians.