IPL 2022: Mumbai Indians skipper Rohit Sharma eyes these milestones
The 15th Indian Premier League (IPL) edition will get underway on March 26. Defending champions Mumbai Indians will take on Delhi Capitals on March 27 at the Brabourne Stadium. The Rohit Sharma-led MI outfit will vie for their sixth IPL title, having won in 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2020. Skipper Rohit himself eyes a number of personal milestones. Here, we decode the same.
- Rohit remains one of the greatest players in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- He has played the joint-second-most IPL games (213) after MS Dhoni (220).
- At present, the former is the third-highest run-scorer, having amassed 5,611 runs at an average of 31.17.
- The incredible tally includes 1 hundred and 40 half-centuries.
- Rohit is the most successful IPL captain in terms of titles (5).
Rohit is only behind Virat Kohli (6,283) and Shikhar Dhawan (5,784) in terms of runs in the Indian Premier League. The Mumbai Indians skipper could be the second player to complete 6,000 runs in the tournament.
Over the years, Rohit has become the leading run-scorer for Mumbai Indians. He has racked up 4,441 runs from 168 matches at an average of 31.27 for the five-time champions. Rohit remains the only player to have scored over 4,000 runs for MI. Kieron Pollard follows Rohit with 3,268 runs. Rohit is set to touch the 5,000-run mark for MI (IPL).
At the moment, Rohit has accumulated joint-fifth-most fours (491) in the IPL. He is set to become the fifth batter with over 500 boundaries. Rohit could also become the third batter to smash 250 or more sixes.
Rohit has led MI to five IPL titles. He could add another trophy in his cabinet this season. As of now, Rohit has captained in 129 matches, the joint-third most along with Gautam Gambhir. The former will leave behind Gambhir in the impending season. Rohit has smashed 1,731 runs as an opener in the IPL. He is set to cross the 2,000-run barrier.