Loading...
Donald Trump can continue construction of White House ballroom
The decision comes after Chief Justice John Roberts signed a temporary order

Donald Trump can continue construction of White House ballroom

Aug 22, 2026
05:00 pm

What's the story

The US Supreme Court has allowed President Donald Trump to continue construction of his controversial White House ballroom. The decision comes after Chief Justice John Roberts signed a temporary order on Friday, allowing work on the planned addition to proceed while the court considers an emergency appeal from Trump's administration. The move comes amid criticism from Democrats, who have accused the conservative-majority court of endorsing what they call "Trump's vanity-driven, gilded corruption."

Project justification

Ballroom project critical to national security, says Trump administration

The Trump administration has defended the ballroom project as critical to national security and the safety of the US president.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation had previously asked the Supreme Court to halt construction after a lawsuit aimed at blocking it.

The massive 90,000sq-ft ballroom is part of Trump's larger plans to transform Washington DC, which also includes an underground military facility for presidential protection.

Construction progress

Ballroom about 65% complete after 10 months of work

The ballroom project, which has already seen the demolition of the White House East Wing, is now about 65% complete after 10 months of work.

The administration has said that the structure will be reinforced with missile-resistant columns and a drone-proof roof.

This is to ensure it can protect both the underground military complex and the larger White House.

ADVERTISEMENT

Renovation authority

Legal challenge continues through courts

The Trump administration has maintained that the president has sole authority over White House renovations, not Congress or the courts.

This comes as a legal challenge continues through the courts.

In April, a district court judge ordered a halt to aboveground construction of the planned ballroom. However, this ruling was temporarily stayed and later upheld by an appeals court panel.

ADVERTISEMENT