Five foods that are worst than chocolates for your teeth
Probably the most common line that's told to children is, "Don't have chocolate, you'll end up with germs on your teeth." Candies may not be all that great for dental health, but guess what? There are a few other foods that have worse effects on your teeth. Here's a list of those foods that are best avoided even if you don't have sensitive teeth.
Drinking aerated soda (even the diet varieties) can have a damaging effect on your teeth. Sodas cause plaque to produce more acid, which attacks the tooth enamel. In other words, sipping these aerated drinks is similar to coating your teeth with acid. Drinking dark-colored sodas all day can also discolor or stain your teeth. Think twice before ordering a soda with every meal.
Dried fruits are excellent sources of protein and are tasty too, but little do we know about their negative effects on teeth. Sticky dried fruits such as apricots, prunes, and figs tend to stick onto the teeth for a longer time, coating those white pearls with lots of sugar. Rinse your mouth after you chew on dried fruits to avoid damage to teeth.
It is hard to resist munching on those chips of ice at the bottom of a drink. Ice is just solidified water and how much damage can it cause, right? Well, apparently a lot. Chewing on ice can damage the enamel and can even cause chipped or broken teeth. It can also cause problems with dental implants such as braces, fillings, and crowns.
Citrus fruits are excellent sources of vitamin C and are beneficial for overall health. However, the acid content in these fruits such as lemons, oranges, and grapefruits makes the teeth vulnerable to decay. Owing to the health benefits of citrus fruits, it is always advised to consume them and then rinsing the mouth with water to avoid acid accumulation on teeth.
Potato chips and other crunchy snacks filled with starch are often too tempting to avoid; it's really a task to stop binging once we get started. However, the starch in these snacks gets trapped in the teeth, acting as a feed for the bacteria in the plaque. Rinse your mouth with water and brush and floss every time you indulge in a starchy treat.